Chapter Twenty-Six: The King Regent Of Xebel

For the first few days Camille was relieved to be on solid ground again, but that sense of comfort dwindled as the end of the first week drew nearer

For the first few days Camille was relieved to be on solid ground again, but that sense of comfort dwindled as the end of the first week drew nearer. It was surprising, even to her, but she missed Atlantis. She wasn't too fond of being cooped up in that protective suit, but she truly longed for the captivating view that awaited her every morning; of jellyfish flashing different arrays of colour like a personal light show, the ancient buildings from centuries past, and the moss that grew fat on the chiseled stone of statues. More specifically, she felt a certain emptiness whilst staying in her apartment alone. She constantly glanced at the tank she had brought for Inky, and found herself wishing he was there. She missed him just as she did Mera and Kaldur, whom she hadn't realized had become such dear friends to her until now. Even Garth or Vulko would have been a welcome sight.

Of course, more prominent on her mind was Arthur. The kiss they had shared still lingered in her mind, and her lips would erupt in spontaneous tingles every now and then as if her body itself was reliving it. She swore that she could remember every millisecond of it. Still, she had a job to do. As tempting as it was, Camille couldn't live her life in a single memory. She had to get everything sorted before she was due to return to Atlantis.

She had informed the UN about Lex Luthor's close call with death and they had, upon reading the full report, thanked her for preventing the peace talks from falling into disarray. They weren't impressed that he had been framed for murder, and the attempt on many other lives, but they seemed to have expected it. Arthur must have informed them of the general negativity towards humans down there before allowing them to send someone to the city.

After this she had to travel to the police station and clear out her desk, that she never used anyway, and that only consisted of a few old folders beneath a melted chocolate bar. After arriving at her new post she had only gone to the station when she absolutely needed to. Otherwise, she was on the streets hoping to cleanse it of crime. Not that it mattered anymore. She had a new job, and that meant she'd likely never be back in that building again.

After all the official business had been taken care of, Camille visited her grandmother. Then Amelia, who was still convinced that Superman was the most amazing thing on or off this planet. By the eleventh day all she could do was wait; only barely managing to keep herself occupied with channel flipping and the few books that she had purchased years ago but never finished.

On the day she was scheduled to leave for Atlantis she had arrived at the supply submarine earlier than some of the workers. When they finally made it back to Atlantis, already geared in their pressure suits, it had taken a little less than two days. Camille was eager to leave the metal contraption and replace it with the spacious oceans of Atlantis. Even the relatively cramped embassy brought her comfort.

"Welcome back, chief." Jarrod, one of the ambassador's security personnel, had greeted her the moment she entered the room.

Camille smiled warmly, once again placing her headgear on the table beside her. The air in this building wasn't nearly as satisfying as it was on the surface but it was something you became used to over time. "Anything to report?"