Chapter Eleven: Preparations

Author's Note: Bit of a filler chapter this time, sorry guys. Just trying to set up the bigger events coming up (and also have to find time for character/relationship development 😂)

The ship moved through the water like a newborn Jellyfish, making little progress but still being influenced by the Ocean's tide

The ship moved through the water like a newborn Jellyfish, making little progress but still being influenced by the Ocean's tide. The atmosphere inside this metal contraption was more tense than it had ever been. All eyes were locked on Camille, who was holding a transceiver. From deep under the surface it was unlikely that she would get a signal, but they were still fairly close to the land.

"I know that you're upset, but please think about this before reporting it..." Mera spoke in a voice too calm for Camille to comprehend. "You don't want to do anything that you'll regret."

Camille's eyes dared to meet hers but there was nothing but anger within them. She was still seeing the image of those bodies scattered around the abandoned port. "Are you kidding me? Those people are dead! I need to contact the nearest patrol!"

"If you do that it'll cause panic on land." Garth sighed, forehead wrinkling in worry. "If they find out that it was Atlanteans that did this, your government might start a war."

Camille's expression didn't soften, nor did her grip on the transceiver. "Maybe they should. This may have started out as an Atlantean problem but Orm has killed innocent people now. My people. I'm calling this in whether you like it or not."

Everyone in the room exchanged concerned glances. Garth, obviously losing whatever little patience he had, grabbed the telecommunication device from Camille's hand. "I'm sorry, but we can't let you do it. This conflict's bad enough without involving Surface Dwellers."

"Give. It. Back." Camille hissed furiously. She could deal with a lot, but being disrespected was something she simply refused to tolerate any longer. "Now."

"I can't do that." Garth seemed to inch the device even further away from Camille as he said this. "You'll be encouraging hundreds of unnecessary deaths."

Somehow, this only thinned the air between the two of them. The officer had jumped from her seat, anger creating shadows on her face that even the many lights on the submarine couldn't fix. "Don't you dare question my decisions! There have already been unnecessary deaths, inflicted by your people! How do I know that you're not just trying to protect them?!"

"It doesn't matter what you think." Garth snapped back. "This doesn't have anything to do with you in the first place!"

The argument would likely would have continued if it weren't for Arthur, who had finally stepped forward and snatched the communicator away from Garth. He gave him one look, and that was apparently enough to convince Garth to cease his efforts. Arthur then threw the device back at Camille, warranting a look of surprise from the Atlanteans in the room.