Chapter Sixteen: A Heroes Return

It had been almost a year since Camille's last encounter with the king of Atlantis

It had been almost a year since Camille's last encounter with the king of Atlantis. He had remained relatively invisible for the first few months but recently returned to his role as Aquaman. She often saw him in viral videos and a few blurry pictures online, but hadn't personally seen him at all.

After Camille's temporary disappearance she had been assigned away from Amnesty Bay, which was upsetting at first, but understandable considering the stress she'd put her superiors through. Now she patrolled a much larger area that wasn't nearly as peaceful as her last post. Every day there was some kind of calamity - whether it be a stabbing or natural disaster. This place experienced both in equal measure.

For example, she was now on her way to a burning building still full of people. This wasn't because she was the most qualified to find the cause of such an intense fire, but she was the only officer left available in the area. She would have to assist the fire brigade in any way she could, stop people from getting too close, then search the building once the fire was out. That was the plan at least, but when she arrived at her destination she was made aware of just how uncontrollable the flames were. They burned with colours she never thought it could. With each flare another apartment was alight.

Even from blocks away it was like a bonfire. The wood was fast becoming ash and the vinyl siding was sliding down like chocolate in the summer heat. The smoke was being carried to the left by the wind, over the housing estate, raining down dirty ash like anti-snow. A bunch of firefighters were fighting the flames with hoses of water that seemingly did nothing.

"What's the situation?" Camille asked the fire chief nearby.

"We're still evacuating everyone, but it's becoming more difficult by the second. The fire isn't getting any better and the building's close to collapsing." He was tapping on the outside of his fire track anxiously, eyes never leaving the deteriorating structure.

Camille searched her brain for ideas but found none. She couldn't extinguish flames that even firefighters struggled against. She was useless in this situation, and though she continued to brainstorm ways of getting everyone to safety in time, the building's entrance had already started to crumble. Just as the evacuating occupants were about to be crushed beneath the frame, a man sped towards it and attempted to hold it up. The strangest thing was that it worked. He was grunting and straining against the weight, but managed to hold it as everyone escaped.

It didn't take long for Camille to recognise Arthur, but this wasn't the time for reunions. She turned to the crowd of people; some were unconscious, others were covered in ash and coughing more up by the second. "Is everyone out?"

One of the firefighters, kneeling beside the elderly man he had pulled out and waiting for a paramedic quickly spoke. "He said his wife was still in there before he passed out, but there's no way of getting to their room."

"Which room?" Camilly hurriedly asked.

"159, on the fourth floor." He replied regretfully.

Camille's gaze darted back to the building and she saw that Arthur was losing his grip. He was strong, but everyone had their limits. Aquaman shifted his stance and used his back to push it up for a little longer but his expression was mixed with pain and uncertainty. If he was holding this building up, he couldn't save the woman...but if he let go the entire structure would collapse.