Chapter Seventeen: The Courier

Camille was awoken the next morning by a faint tapping that seemed the grow louder by the second

Camille was awoken the next morning by a faint tapping that seemed the grow louder by the second. She sat upright, rubbing her tired eyes and drowsily attempting to gather her bearings. She, regretfully, got a quick glance at herself in the mirror - messy bed-hair with each bunch of tight curls spiking up on top of her head, half-lidded eyes, and a blank expression. She looked like something from a child's nightmare.

The woman groaned and held her head in her hands, mumbling to herself "I really need to move that mirror..."

Camille swung her feet over the mattress and tied up her hair before the knocking started again. Sleepiness severely hindering her sense of direction, she assumed that it was coming from the front door. However, when she opened it no one was there. Camille rolled her eyes. It was probably just a bunch of kids pulling a prank.

Closing the door once more, she shuffled over to her phone that was charging on the bedside table and checked for any messages. There was one from her grandmother simply saying 'Good Morning, Bubbles' and another one from Amelia. Her friend had sent her yet another picture of Superman, but this time he wasn't alone. It was a blurry photo, but Camille could clearly recognise Aquaman talking to the Man of Steel.

'Both our men in one picture!' Amelia had attached those words to the image and Camille found herself shaking her head. She texted back 'He's not my man, but I'm glad the stalking's still going well.'

Amelia's reply was almost immediate 'It's not stalking if we're soulmates 😍'

Camille chuckled. 'Yes, actually, it is. Besides, isn't he dating that ex-vigilante?'

'Reaper? That's all fake news. Why would he want anything to do with someone like her?' Amelia responded defensively.

'Idk. You don't really get to choose who you fall for.' Camille sighed and locked her phone, feeling the weight of her own words beginning to drown her. She wished desperately that her feelings for Arthur had never developed at all. It would likely never be reciprocated, and even if it was, a relationship would be impossible.

Camille tossed her phone onto her bed and started getting dressed. As it was, she wasn't even sure if she'd ever see or hear from him again. Perhaps it would have been best that way...

The tapping noise punctured the air once more and it was enough to make Camille jump. She pulled her door back open and still no one was there, and yet the tapping continued. Upon listening closer she realised that it was coming from the other side of the room. She bolted towards the window and pulled on the blinds to find a large pelican knocking against the glass with its beak.

Camille gasped and was sent stumbling backwards in surprise, but the pelican continued its assault of her window until she opened it. It then perched itself onto the sill and opened its large mouth. The stench of fish immediately wafted from it and encouraged the officer to peak inside its beak. Flopping around in the sack attached to its mouth were a bunch of small fish, and a bottle right in the middle. Curiosity compelled Camille to reach a hand towards the bottle. The pelican didn't stop her but made a threatening noise to warn her against taking the fish instead.