Chapter Thirty-Four: Mercy

Camille's eyes had frozen over like the surface of a winter puddle, robbing them of their usual warmth

Camille's eyes had frozen over like the surface of a winter puddle, robbing them of their usual warmth. She was in there somewhere, but it was like Mera's words had slapped her out of reality; making her take a huge step back from life. Mera wanted to reach in and rekindle her light but Camille was too shocked to register anything but the growing terror ripping at her gut. The world around her was moving too fast. It made her dizzy, nauseous even. It was impossible. She couldn't be pregnant...she wasn't ready. Camille had only barely accepted the idea of being married.

"I should...inform the king." Mera's voice was soft and careful, but inflicted a response so intense in the queen that her entire body jolted forward.

Camille grabbed onto her arm, head shaking vigorously. Her eyes were in an overwhelming state of panic, still attempting to process her current situation. "N-No, you can't!"

The redhead relaxed into the water, crossing her arms over her chest and tapping her index finger against her scaly, green armour. "Why not? He needs to know."

"This isn't a request, Mera." Camille's expression hardened. For the first time since the Xebelian had met her, Camille looked as demanding as any other queen she'd met. That alone showed how desperate she was. "This is an order. You're not to tell Arthur anything about this."

Mera's shoulders slumped forward, an inner debate glaring inside of her skull. Arthur was her friend, and he deserved to know, but the queen had given a command. To go against that would be considered dishonorable in Atlantis. "As you wish...the news should come from you anyway."

Camille felt her stomach churn at the thought. She needed to decide what exactly she wanted to do before telling him. In all honesty, she didn't want a baby. She never did. Her own mother had left much to be admired when it came to parenting, and she had the worst feeling that she'd end up exactly like her.

Suddenly, Camille felt like she might faint. Her head was pounding, and twisting, and aching. Life was running away from her and she couldn't even begin catching up. Getting married for the sake of peace was one thing, but being pregnant after only a single week of marital life was quite another.

Camille mustered all of her strength to calm her jittering nerves. Vulko was still waiting for her, and Camille didn't want to give him any reason to be suspicious.

The older Atlantean was waiting for her in a room large enough to fit two cruise ships. Each wall was painted such a deep shade of blue that it almost disappeared entirely in the water; the only evidence that it remained around her being a gigantic engraving of a Megalodon. Vulko senses the ocean shift around him and turned with a bow. "You're late, my queen."

"Sorry..." Camille replied, voice trembling under such immense stress.

"Consider this your first lesson. Royalty is never late. Even when they are, they're not. Understood?"