Chapter Twenty-Eight: Sins Of The Father

King Ryus had been taken completely off guard by the arrival of Brandilen

King Ryus had been taken completely off guard by the arrival of Brandilen. No one could exactly blame him either. She had simply showed up unannounced insisting that she was the future 'Queen of Atlantis', but Ryus had never even heard of her before. Needless to say, he wasn't too impressed by Brandilen's random appearance, nor of her demands to take one of his own people back to Atlantis for judgment.

One thing that could be said about Arthur's new fiancée though was that she was persuasive. No matter how hard Ryus tried to negotiate R'atlu's freedom, this new 'queen' had a handful of tactics and excuses; ranging from legitimate law to flat-out threats. "We both know that war is a game of numbers." She had said to him. "And Atlantis is much bigger than Xebel."

In the end, Ryus had no choice but to allow them to take R'atlu. He couldn't afford to go to war over one person. Something told him that Arthur was completely unaware of the events now unfolding, but that was the only glimmer of hope in an otherwise terrible situation.

When the queen returned to Atlantis, followed by the security team that had escorted her to Xebel and a constrained R'atlu, she continued straight towards the castle. Every person nearby stopped their daily rituals to watch the scene, curiosity peaked at the return of Nereus' daughter. It was a difficult sight to miss, especially for Camille who had been venturing through the city with Lex.

The human had tried approaching the group, primarily to speak with R'atlu, but one of the guards swiftly shoved a trident mere inches from her face to stop her. "Back off, land-dweller. You are never to approach the queen without permission."

Camille's eyes narrowed. Now that she was closer she could clearly see the magical bonds that kept R'atlu's hands restrained. They zapped like little strings of lightning, and whenever she made the smallest movement it would spark at her skin. She was being treated like a villain...

"Continue forward. I will deal with the human." Mera's voice pierced the tense air and her squad obeyed without any hesitance. She then drew her attention towards Camille and the conflict in her eyes became much more apparent. "Don't go to the castle...no matter what you hear."

"What? Why?" Camille asked urgently.

"Just trust me on this." Mera replied in a loud whisper. "You don't want to be there."

Without any further elaboration, she hurried after her security team and left Camille in a state of absolute perplexity. Lex Luthor calmly appeared at her side, looking more natural than even the most experienced human divers. It was unlikely that he would ever be in a place that he couldn't adapt to. "That was certainly ominous."

"Yeah...I don't like where this is going." Camille's voice shook unsteadily. The people around them had started rushing in the direction of the palace, and wasn't sure if she wanted to know why.

Something, quite abruptly, wrapped around Camille's wrist and snapped her out of her inner thoughts. Her first instinct was to swat it away as if it were a stranger, but when she turned her gaze towards it she saw a tiny squid clutching onto her.