Chapter Two

"Oh my cob..." KO said, startled by the unexpected scene.

The house was even messier on the inside than the outside. The house was dark, nothing lighting up the room except for the sun just barely shining through the dirty windows. The floor was covered with trash and debris, as if the house was falling apart. There was a couch that was ripped up, and a coffee table right in front of it. In the left corner of the room was a rocking chair that was ripped as well.

In between the couch and rocking chair was a chimney that was poorly boarded up.

There were two doorways on each side of the living room that led to a kitchen. On the right side of the living room was a hallway that led deeper into the house.

"Wow. This place is a dump." Tko said. KO gasped.

"Tko!" He said.

"It's okay. I know it's a mess. But things have been kind of rough since..." Y/n trailed off, leaving the others in confusion. She looked back up at them, smiling weakly. "Nevermind that. Why don't I show you the backyard? It's much cleaner."

"Let's go!" KO said as he looked around. "Which way is it?"

Y/n laughed a little, and turned to the kitchen. "It's this way."

She led them to the kitchen, where it was slightly brighter because of the large glass sliding doors. The kitchen had a u-shaped counter with a refrigerator at the end. In front of the glass doors was a dining table, and in the other side of it was a small room separated from the kitchen. It was the laundry room.

Y/n slid open the glass doors, allowing them to step outside. The porch was high up in the air, and a large set of stairs that led down to a back yard with grass. Past the backyard were the woods that surrounded the sides of the house.

KO looked down at the ground and saw an old but working swingset. He grabbed Tko's hand and dashed down the steps, towards the swings. Y/n laughed slightly.

"Y/n?" Dendy called. Y/n turned to her.

"Yes?" She asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion.

"What's your power exactly?" Dendy questioned. Y/n's eyes widened slightly, she rubbed her arm nervously.

"Oh, um... I thought everyone knew." She said.

"We know the basics. But I want the details." Dendy said. Y/n sighed and looked down At ground far underneath the porch.

"Well, um... Any emotions I feel effect my form. Such as my hair. Each emotion has a certain color, and can make me look the way I feel." She said.

"What does grey stand for?" Dendy asked. Y/n grabbed her grey strip of hair, holding it tightly.

"Confusion, sadness. Loneliness." She said, looking at her feet. "Those are just a few examples. It can mean I'm lost mentally, it can mean lots of stuff. It's the most common color."

"It must change more than your hair." Dendy said, referring to her eyes.

"Oh, yeah, my eyes change too. They can be empty, they can be full of life, they can be scared, they can show lots of emotions." Y/n said.

"Is that all your power can do?" Dendy asked. Y/n hesitated before answering,

"No." She looked off into the distance. "I can... See things."

"What kind of stuff?" Dendy asked, growing more and more interested.

"I can see people's soulmates. The people who they're destined to fall in love with." Y/n said.

"Can you see yours?" Dendy asked. Y/n was quiet for a minute before saying,

"I don't have one." She said. Dendy's eyes widened.

"You're not destined to fall in love with anyone?" She asked, surprised.

"I mean, I can but, it's not destined. It wasn't meant to happen. I'm somebody's soulmate, but we both have to be each other's soul mate in order for it to be destined. Without my own, I can never truly be with someone." Y/n said. She looked down at the two boys, sighing.

"That's terrible. But some people aren't made for love. Maybe you were made for fighting. Or for science. Or maybe something else. I don't know. But not everyone can love like they want to." Dendy said as she placed a hand in Y/n's shoulder. She then walked down the stairs to join the others.

Y/n turned and walked inside, going to make her some tea. She walked up to the fridge and looked at it. She saw a familiar picture of a woman holding a smaller version of Y/n. This picture was nine years old. She smiled weakly and opened the fridge. The light it emitted was weak because the whole house ran on a small amount of solar energy.

She grabbed the jug of tea and poured a glass. She closed the fridge and walked over to the window that was above the sink. She looked out it and saw the three children outside playing.

"Maybe I just wasn't made for love..." Y/n mumbled.