Chapter Three

After convincing his mother Carol, KO finally got to spend the night with Y/n. All it took was a little persuasion, and not telling her about the old house.

Dendy joined as well, and KO just couldn't go without Tko. So, they were all sitting in the dark living room, Dendy's flashlight being the only light.

"So, Y/n, got any snacks?" KO asked.

"I might. Let me go check." Y/n said as she stood up and walked into the kitchen. She came out a moment later with small triangle sandwiches on a plate. She set them down on the table. "That's the best thing I could find."

KO grabbed one and ate, quickly grabbing more. Tko grabbed one and eyed it.

"Hey, Y/n, I've been meaning to ask..." Tko began, catching Y/n's attention. "Where are your parents?"

"Oh... They're... Gone." Y/n said as she looked at the floor sadly.

"Did they leave for a trip?" KO asked, oblivious to what she meant.

"No, they're, um... Dead..." Y/n clarified. KO's eyes widened.

"What?! That's terrible! I can't believe this! Is this why you're always so sad?!" KO jumped up from his seat, bombarding her with questions.

"But if they're dead, how do you still get food and have a working house?" Dendy asked.

"With a little hard work and the help of some people from a neighboring town, it was pretty easy." Y/n said.

"So you do have friends?" KO asked.

"Not exactly. Just some people who knew my mom. But we don't talk about her. It brings back too many... Memories." Y/n said, furrowing her eyebrows at the memory part.

Suddenly, there was a bright flash of lightning, and rain began pouring down from the sky, beating down on the house. Y/n gasped and quickly stood up. She rushed over to the door, where there was a large vase that held things such as umbrellas. She grabbed one and opened it.

"Y/n? What's happening?" KO asked as he stood up. Suddenly, he felt something hit his head. He looked up and saw water dripping through the ceiling. A drop of water fell and hit him right under the eyes. He wiped it off.

"The house leaks when it rains. We'll have to go to the basement if we want to stay dry." Y/n said. She walked into the kitchen and up to the sliding door. She pushed it open and stepped out onto the deck. The umbrella protected her from the rain. "C'mon, it's down here." She said as she led them down the stairs, they all huddled up under the umbrella.

Once at the bottom of the stairs, there was a door that led to a separate room, assumably the basement. She opened the door and stepped inside, the others following. She closed the umbrella then shut the door.

The children looked around. The basement was lit up by a dim lightbulb that ran on solar energy. The room was filled with boxes, and had a small walkway. The floor was concrete, and cold on their feet.

"What?! We have to stay down here?!" Tko exclaimed.

"Don't worry. This room is nice. The boxes have all kinds of stuff packed in them, blankets and pillows for sure. We've just gotta look through a couple." Y/n said. She grabbed one box and opened it. "Oh, look, it's a board game." She held it up.

She continued looking through boxes until she finally found a large, thick blanket. She placed it on the floor, and layered it with a couple more. She then used other folded blankets as pillows.

"There. Now we can sleep." Y/n said as she backed away from the pile of blankets.

"On that? All together?" Tko cringed.

"Yeah. Why not? You and KO are siblings, and Dendy and I are friends." Y/n said.

"Yeah, Tko! It'll be great!" KO said as he did a cartwheel into the blankets. Tko groaned.

"Ugh, I don't like sleeping next to people." He said. KO grabbed his wrist and pulled him to the floor.

"It'll be fun! We can play games and look through some more of these boxes!" KO said. Tko sighed.

"Whatever." He mumbled, crossing his arms.

"Great! Let's look through some more of these boxes!" KO said as he grabbed one. He opened it and began pulling stuff out of it.

"I'm gonna look back here." Y/n said as she climbed deeper into the room, disappearing behind a wall of boxes.

Tko stood up and walked away from everyone else, hoping to find something more interesting to do. But as he went deeper into the never ending hall of boxes, he came across a strange one.

It was white, and unlike all of the other boxes, this one had a label. It said 'Y/N' written in red marker. Tko looked around, making sure no one was around. After seeing nothing but his own shadow, he began digging through it.

He found files, each one having strange names. One had the name 'EMOTION EXTRACTION'. All of these seemed strange, and maybe even scary, but there was one that really seemed to stick. 'LANA-01'.

What could that possibly mean? That wasn't a someone he knew, and this town was pretty small so he knew almost everyone. But maybe she wasn't from this town. Maybe she came from the city. Who knows?

He opened the folder to find a picture of a woman wearing an orange jumpsuit, as if she were a prisoner. She had had long, golden hair, and a face that resembled Y/n's. She even had a stripe in her hair. But it wasn't grey. It was red.

The woman seemed to be posing in a strange way. Only her head and torso were shown, but she seemed to be standing in a T pose. Her eyes were closed, and there was a ominous red glow to her form.

He looked down at the documents. It read:

Test subject 01: Lana L/n

Use: Energy, fighting

Log 001:
Lana is a remarkable person. Although she is good, there are some bad things to her. Such as--

Before Tko could read any further, the documents were slapped out of his hand.

"Don't read that!" Y/n shouted. She quickly picked it up and placed it back in the box, putting the lid back on.

"What was that?" Tko asked.

"Nothing!" Y/n answered too quickly for her liking. "It was nothing..."

"Who's Lana? Is she your mom?" Tko asked.

"What? No! What gave you that idea?!" Y/n said.

"Well, she had the same last name as you, her hair is similar, she looks like you. There's a lot that gives it away." Tko said as he named them off on his fingers.

"Well, see the problem is, she's not my mom. She was friends with my mom!" Y/n argued.

"Well how come you two have so much in common?!" Tko yelled.

"Well not all powers are unique! There are some people with the same power! And Lana and I just so happened to have the same one!" Y/n shouted loud enough for KO and Dendy to hear. Her form suddenly glitched, and for a split second, she looked upset. But it quickly disappeared.

Y/n sighed and opened the box, grabbing a picture of Lana. She hugged it close to her.

"She was the only person I could trust..." Y/n mumbled. Tko suddenly felt terrible for assuming something that probably hurt her feelings. It was strange because usually, Tko wasn't one to care about how kids felt if they weren't his friends.

But something in him sparked, and he suddenly cared. He placed a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. She was a friend, and you lost her. She was then only person you could trust, and she's gone now. But now you have people you can trust again. You have us." Tko said as he smiled. Y/n sighed and looked at the picture.

"You're right. I can trust people again." She said. She then placed the picture back in the box and closed it. She turned and hugged Tko, to his surprise. But he hugged back.

From behind some of the boxes stood Dendy, who seemed upset. She knew then why Y/n was so hesitant to be around Tko.

She was his soul mate.