Chapter 3//the phone call

Mackenzie's POV
I stare at my the home screen of my phone. And wait. I flop down back first on my queen sized bed and sigh. I've been waiting for an email from my school saying,"hello miss Ziegler, I have made a huge mistake! You will not be tutoring miss Leblanc. I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding." But no, there's nothing.

That little brat gets everything she could ever want. A big house, a dad, fans, fame, and much more. Why can't I have her life?? she has it so easy and everyone just drops to her knees. Well i won't! Beep beep. My phone alerts me. I check it excitedly, but I feel disappointment overwhelm my body.

It's a Instagram dm from Annie Leblanc.

The message reads,"Hello Mackenzie! Since you're tutoring me for god knows how long i was wondering maybe we could meet up at your house or maybe at the library??? anyways I'm so sorry for being rude to you earlier...i didn't mean it :(( hope you can forgive me xx" And the message is followed by a follow from her.

"Hi? um thanks for apologizing btw and why my house and not yours?" i reply, curiosity replacing the disappointment. I see the three dots pop up, indicating that she's replying, and disappear a couple of times. And then she finally replies.

"I gtg see you tmr." She states, ignoring my question. I wonder what she's hiding...

•••

"...and then you carry the two, and you get 59." I explain to annie. She just looks at my like I've grown another head and then she slams her head against the white table in the corner of my room.

"I'm gonna fail." She states, slamming her head against the table.

"No you won't!" I reassure her,"here try and solve this problem." I point to the problem that says "Write 0.12×10-3 as a decimal." She nods and I get up to leave the room.

"Wait where are you going?" She questions me.

"Just getting us some snacks and water. Finish the problem, I'll be right back." I justify. I continue to make my way out of my bedroom and down the stairs.

"Hey kenz." My sister says with her eyes fixed on her phone,"how's tutoring annie."

I shrug grabbing some water from the fridge,"it's okay, I guess."

"Kenzie, she's not that bad," Maddie states, now looking up from her phone,"she's had a hard life."

I have to hold back my laughter from the statement,"yeah right! She's got a huge house, millions of dollars, fans, a career, fame, and so much more!"

"Kenzie, she's lost her mother and her brother." She tries to persuade me. I roll my eyes and get some more snacks.

"At least she has a father." I mumble before getting the snacks and water and heading up the wooden stairs. Maddie says something else but I'm already too far up the stairs to hear her. I go to my room and when I'm about to open the door I hear annie talking to someone.

"-no I promise I will be better...No don't hurt Hayley it's my fault-" She says and I hear someone else cut her off on the phone, and it's sounds like a male because of his deep voice. Through the crack in my door I can see annie shaking. She nods vigorously and says yes over and over answering the persons questions. I see a single tear fall from her face and she quickly wipes it away.

"Yes. I will be home soon...okay sir...yes I promise...okay thanks da-I mean sir...bye." She says and hangs up. And she starts trembling uncontrollably. I rush towards her to comfort her and she just breaks down in my arms.

"You...weren't meant t-to see t-that." She says hyperventilating. I just shush her and she starts calming down.

"Would you like to stay here tonight?" I ask her and she looks around the room with hope in her eyes but another emotion passes through her eyes and she shakes her head.

"I promised my father I would be home and I couldn't leave Hayley alo-I mean Hayley needs help with her homework." She answers, cutting herself off. I nod, not believing her excuse, but I just went along with it and she grabs her stuff.

"See you tomorrow." She states before exiting my room. Maybe her life isn't as easy as I thought it was, I think to myself, I'm going to find out the truth.

•••

I don't get it. I really don't. Yesterday annie was on the verge of breaking down and today, as I'm watching her with her friends, she's all laughs and smiles. Maybe she was just acting to make me feel sorry for her. That's low.

"-and then I was like 'you messed with the wrong girl.' And I grabbed my purse and kicked him where the sun don't shine and- Kenzie? Earth to Kenzie? Mackenzie!!" Naomi snaps me back to reality. I look at the blonde and give her a blank stare. "Were you listening??" She questions me and I just nod. "What's up with you today?"

"Nothing. Everything is fine!" I state, shooing away her assumption. She gives me a I know you better than that Kenzie stare. I roll my eyes,"it's just the project coming up has me super stressed out." I lie. She nods, believing my fib.

"Don't worry you'll be fine! You're like the smartest kid in our grade." She reassures me. I give her a genuine smile and wonder to myself how I ever got an amazing friend like her.

"Anyways, are you excited for the back to school dance next week!" She says, changing the subject.

I shrug,"I'm not going."

"Ha it's funny you think you have a choice." She states, laughing at my response.

"I'm not going." I say, holding my ground.

"Why?"

"Because I'm just not into dances."

"This is our sophomore year. And it's your year to branch out."

"Whatever."

"You're going, end of discussion." She states, closing the conversation.

"But-"

"Nuh-uh. End of discussion." She cuts me off. I roll my eyes.

"Fine." I agree and she claps victoriously and continues talking about the dance that she's going to force me to attend.

"Ahem." A familiar voices says from behind me.

I hope you guys enjoyed the 3rd chapter. Who do you think the voice is?? Stay tuned to find out hehe. Anyways vote and comment, don't me a ghost reader :)))

Anyways my puppy is soooo annoying (but cute) ughhh send help shxhsjsjhdjajsjhdh

Love you guys <333333

-chloe xoxo