chapter 16//jealous besties

mackenzies pov

i pretended i didn't see it. but i did. and i thought i was fine with it but i'm not. i mean we never even dated, so why do i feel a pang of jealousy stabbing into me. he's johnny orlando, he is always going to be caught with another girl, but i thought that maybe when he apologized he really meant it.

i stare at the many cars passing by through the window in the corner. i sigh and look down at my notebook that i'm supposed to be writing notes in. and not to mention, annies leaving in a few days to go back to the horrible person. i don't know what to do. if i let her go back, she has to go back to a horrible life, but if i tell the police, he's probably going to turn it on someone else. he has power. like a lot of it.

"hey kenz. you okay?" naomi questions me next to me. my caramel eyes shoot up to look at her pale face.

"oh uh yeah! of course! just tired." i fake yawn and she nods her head in return. i hate lying to her but i can't tell her about this or the whole school will end up finding out.

"so i heard you're going to a party tonight," she tells me, in a low whisper. i mean we are still in class.

"yeah! annie is taking me. y'know you were right about her, she is a lot nicer than i thought so. i mean if you want you could come. the more the merrier," i say. her face goes pale. like really pale. and her face is already super pale, so i kinda get scared. "n? are you okay?" i ask worriedly.

"actually, i was wrong. she's a jerk. you're right." she drops a bomb like that and continues with her notes.

"um what? i thought you liked her, naomi?"

"i did. until i found out what she did," she states, still focused on her notes.

"what? what did she do?" curious, i lean in so i'm closer to her face.

"she just stopped hanging out with rosie. like completely just ditched her. and i heard that she posted posters around the school with her biggest secret written on it." she explains. my face drops and i look away from her. how did rosie find out about that and why was she using it as something that happened to her.

"that didn't happen to rosie."

"no it did! someone told me annie did that to her best frie-"

"that best friend was me. that happened to me." i whisper. she looks a me for a while, confusion written all over her face.

"you used to be friends with her?" she questions anger boiling inside of her. i nod slowly.

"it was for like a month but we got really close. she must have told rosie about it and she probably used it to act like the victim." i explain, trying (and failing) for her to get mad at rosie and not annie. you see, i've known naomi since 3rd grade. we did dance together, but she was homeschooled so i didn't see her at school. she decided to come to school last year. so, even if we have been friends for forever, annie was my first best friend at school.

"i am going to kill her."

"please don't. she's actually so sweet and so nice and i love her but i promise i still love you more." i ramble in a span of 5 seconds. "please come to the party today and you'll see how nice she is. please. for me?"

"nope." she says popping on the "p." i stare at her with my puppy dog eyes for a good 2 minutes. she stares back with her signature poker face she uses whenever we play uno.

"fine." she gives in. i hug her before returning back to my work because the teacher was starting to get onto us. this is gonna be so fun!

•••

i slip on a lace white dress that annie said i would make a statement in. i slide into 1 inch nude high heals and i straighten my hair. maddie pressures me to let her do my makeup. i finally agree and she does it surprisingly well. i mean i knew she was good at makeup but i didn't know she was that good.

annie walks in wearing a red dress, black high heals, with big, tight curls. annie also asks if maddie can do her makeup too. she realized how good maddie did my makeup and she wanted hers done too.

"hey mack?" annie looks up at me.

"yeah?"

"do u think naomi hates me?" she questions, a ping of sadness hidden in between her confident voice. i put the hairbrush down that i was using to brush my straight hair.

"she's probably just jealous. she's not used to me having other friends. she loves you i swear. just be really nice so you don't give her a reason to hate her." i answer honestly. she nods.

"anyways," she decided to change the subject, "how is school going for ya?"

i laugh, "it's actually really good! thanks to you." she hugs me and i hug her back.

"guys!! it's time to go to the party!" maddie screams to us from the living room downstairs.

"okay we will be down in a sec!" i scream back down to her. i get up from the seat of my vanity and i grab annie's hand. i pull her down the stairs and we meet maddie.

"took you long enough." maddie rolls her eyes grabbing her keys. we go into her red convertible and me and annie talk the whole way about vampire diaries.

once we pull up to this dude named kevin's house we get out, already noticing the basic parting setting. the iconic red solo cups littered on the beautiful bright green grass on kevin's front yard. loud music blasting and what looks to be a million people scattering around the house. i already know more people will arrive later, even though it started like an hour and ten minutes ago. annie always tells me to be "fashionably late" to a party.

"ready?" annie looks at me, excitement filling her flawless tanned skin. her dark eyes scanning my face. i confidently nod.

"yep. let's get our pArTy oN," i agree. she grabs my hand and pulls me out of the car with her.

authors note: hi um i haven't posted in a hot min and i just wanted to say thank you for 900 reads!! also we are number one in #hayleynoelle and number two in #mackannie. thank y'all so much!! i don't understand why you guys are reading this but i couldn't b more thankful. u guys are the frickin best and i just ugh i love everyone who's reading this. pls comment and vote so i know u guys are enjoying this!!!!! i love reading everyone's comments lol but like no one comments so that's fun. (this is long lol) anyways have a wonderful day/night! love u.

-chloe xoxo