chapter 24//the downfall

mackenzies pov

"my names caleb." he lightly laughs. i freeze. caleb as in annie and hayley's brother caleb? he sighs, "i knew this would happen, i never should have said anythi- "

"no! i'm happy that you did. but by caleb do you mean...?"

"yes, caleb leblanc. annies.. erm.. brother."

"why are you in here? you're literally related to billy! aren't you supposed to be um.. dead?" i awkwardly cough the last part.

"he wanted more clout and the only way he felt he could do that was to pretend like i died. and sure enough it worked. the channel earned self pity, especially for annie. annie's career exceeded, but little did everyone know she was actually being abused behind the scenes." he sighs as he explains the horrendous truth behind the lives of the famous channel, also known as "bratayley."

"oh my go -"

i was cut off by a group of people slamming a
door. i look over at caleb.

"shh." he says, quietly. we both go as quiet as a mouse, not wanting to get caught. under the circumstances, we were probably even more quiet than a mouse.

"throw him into that room," a female voice booms, "that'll shut him up." a loud noise results as someone gets thrown into another room. i freeze, shaking rapidly. deep breathes kenzie. you're okay.

"call nicole. tell her that hayden is locked securely in the room." i gasp. hayden? as in hayden summerall?? does that mean they have annie too? oh. my. god. i look over at caleb frantically. tears sting my eyes, threatening to come out. this is not okay. not only did billy trap his only son in this cramped cell for over TWO YEARS but here he is throwing anyone who attempts to stop this insanity in a cell too.

i panic as i think about how terrible everything he's been doing is. and how annie and hayley have had to experience his wrath for their whole lives, without their moms's or brother's protection.

suddenly, i hear their voices again. "nicole? yes it's jayden," jayden says to the phone, "yes hayden is trapped securely... mhm so is caleb and mackenzie... annie is onto us though... i mean hayley can always replace annie if we have to resort to putting annie away... yes... i know... mhm... hayden won't be saying anything anytime soon... if we have to we can eliminate him... will do... okay... buh-bye nicole." and with that she hangs up.

"ugh i hate having to listen to her orders. i had a frickin AFFAIR with billy for three years! and of course she's second in command. ugh what an old rat." she compains. i cringe at the fact that she was dating billy since before annie's mom died. caleb sighs, as she listens to the terrible things jayden has done. i scoot closer to him and put my hand over his.

"everything's going to be okay. i'll get you out of here. okay?"

"okay." he looks up at me. although i can't see anything but his silhouette, considering how dark it is in this room, i feel his presence. i hug him and he hugs back. we hold each other, feeling the security that comes with it.

— ❀ —

"hayden?" an oddly familiar voice whisper screams through the old, creaky house. i look over at caleb my eyes wide with panic. we scoot over closer to the door.

"hayden?" the voice continues. this time caleb and i knock on the door.

"hayden!" the voice gets closer. we knock again and we hear her open one of the neighboring doors. "hayden!" she whispers one last time and we knock again. she finally opens our door and sees caleb and i.

"caleb?" her voice is a whisper.

"annie!" tears of joy fall down both of their eyes. they run in for a hug and they embrace each other for what feels like an eternity. when they let go of each other, annie looks over and sees me.

"kenz.." she whispers.

"i missed you so much." i whisper as i pull her into an embrace. tears fall down both of our eyes as we hold each other.

"i missed you more.." she hugs me tighter. she signals for caleb to join our hug and we hug for forever. but another door slams and we all jump.

"hide annie!" i order her as she frantically tries to find a spot to hide. loud footsteps walk closer and closer to our cell. and soon enough the door swings open and a terrifying billy opens the door.

"WHERE IS SHE!" he screams.

"da- i mean sir, i have no idea what your talking about." caleb says calmly.

"oh shut up caleb." he roars. he turns his head toward me, "oh mackenzie." he says slow and creepily.

"how nice it is to see your here." he smirks at me as he looks me up at down. "do you think you can tell me where my sweet daughter is." he says sarcastically.

"um i think she's still at my house. i can guide you back to my house if you let me out." i smile sarcastically.

"i'd love to let you out and maybe we could have some fun. but, unfortunately, i can't." he fake smiles and he sends shivers down my spine. he has a knack for being creepy. he slowly walks around the room and i shake, hoping he doesn't find annies hiding spot. after walking around for a solid 2 minutes he appears to give up.

"fine. i guess she's not in here. maybe i'll go have some fun with hayden instead. i'm sure he'd love a good beating."

"no!" a voice comes from the other side of the room.

"ah-ha! annie is in here." billy smiles like he just won the olympics. annie rises up from her spot and lowers her head in surrender.

"take me instead, don't hyrt hayden. he doesn't deserve it, dad." annie starts to cry.

"okay i'll take you, but only because you told me to. now someone's gonna get a good beating tonight." annie follows billy out of the room in defeat and the door slams leaving caleb and i in the darkness again.

authors note

this low key almost made me cry i-
stay tuned for the next chapter,
IT GETS BETTER
I SWEAR
also 1 vote=1 slap for billy bob

disclaimer: this is all from
my imagination i in no way
believe that this is how any of
these characters act in real life
thanks for reading
bye :)