42

We ended up staying a whole day longer than we planned to. Travis and I were on the road to recovery, and Kia was happy to be finished with the double date.
"Wow, that's one of the first times my hypothesis ended up incorrect." Railynn raises her eyebrows.

"Gods, you guys," I put a smile on my face as well, even though it was only half genuine.

"Tell me all about the city!" Miranda jumped up. "I've only seen pictures and I wasn't invited on this double date."

"I don't understand, we could have gone on a quadruple date." Railyn nods. "Travis and Kia, Miranda and Connor, Alex and Katie, Jake and myself."

"We could have, but it would have been even more awkward." Kia's face scrunches up a bit, "I seriously did not want to go on a date with Stoll."

"Who would you have preferred?" I watch as Railyn's eyebrows wiggled at Kia, "Angelo? Perhaps?"

Kia's face burned into a bright pink, as the daughter of Athena was right again.

"Oh my Gods, Kia!" my smile exciting into a real one, "Angelo?"

"How did you even find out?"Kia says from behind her hands, in attempt to cover her blush, "You aren't a daughter of Ve—I mean, Aphrodite."

"I don't need to be one, I can just read your body language."

"I wasn't even near, Angelo!"

"Exactly, your face slightly dropped when Alex took him away, you couldn't taalk or be around him."

"How did you even notice that? I wasn't near you either."

"I'm very perceptive."

"Damn."

I laughed and smiled at the girl talk, it relieved me of having to think about my troubles as we spoke about other people—as mean as that may sound. We decided not to have dinner in the hall, and just eat with each other.

But then it was the next day and responsibilities had to be dealt with. I walk to the stables. As soon as I step in Jaxie turns to me and an excited whine comes from him. It causes me to smile, but also wonder how long will this wonderful animal remember me. We've been told that all the campers from Camp Half Blood will be back in New York soon, all the way across the country, leaving California and everyone and everything we've seen and met miles and miles away. Our responsibilities will no longer be our responsibilities, and our cohorts will no longer be our cohorts. It leaves me wondering, if our friends will be our friends still. Kia I'm sure will have no problem making her way to Camp Half Blood, just as she had no problem getting to San Francisco.

"Katie! Katie!" I turn and hear Alex's panicked voice behind me.

I turn around. "Alex, what's wrong?"

"Someone outed me, cohort knows."

"What?!"

"I've asked them not to spread it around camp but someone outed me!" Tears brim his eyes.

I wrap my arms around the taller boy. "Alex—oh my gods—are you okay?"

I hear him sobbing.

"Stupid question of me. I'm so sorry!"

"You didn't tell anyone did you?" His eyes search mine wildly.

"No, I didn't—I swear it on the river styx!"

"I don't know what to do!" His body  is shaking now, "My family—they're not all supportive! I ran away and came here to get away and accept myself! What if they tell my family?"

"We're are your family, Alex. Angelo, Kia, Miranda, Railynn, Jake, Travis, Connor, Me. Anyone who hurts you will have to come through us."

We abandon our chores for the rest of the day. Just as he held me when I cried, it's my turn to hold him.

The time to go back to New York was coming up. We only had a few more weeks before we had to leave but everyday until then, I never leave Alex's side. I hold him when he cries. I hold his hand when he feels weak. I make sure he is safe. Kia immediately drops all teasing of us being a couple. Angelo makes sure he doesn't get harassed in the restroom, but no one even does anything to harm him. Railynn and Miranda makes sure any and all gossip is shut up about.

Sometimes Alex goes out and smiles happily, genuinely. Other times he refuses to leave his bed all day. We never leave him. That's not what family does.

08 26 18
yikes
edited april 11, 2020
💜