Swearing With Flowers, Sue Me

JASPER'S P.O.V.

These two worried me so much. I don't know why I am so worried. I hadn't planned to be protective of these guys. My plan was to survive here, then go back to my sister.

But... is it bad that I'd rather stay here? I mean, yeah, it would be pretty obvious. The jumping through the forest, new technology, the food... It's like a makeshift paradise. The only thing that would make it better is that if my sister were here and we were both free.

No, that would still be selfish. I have a whole neighborhood block to take care of. I can't just let those poor people die! Either you're too young or too old to work, or you're too starved.

Cal looked at me with fear and Marazine scolded me. I was already incredibly guilty, now I've made it worse. I totally forgot about how sensitive Cal was. And how intimidating Marazine's tone was.

"I... Holy begonias, I am so sorry for hitting you." I said and automatically buried my face in my hands. Cal didn't move his arms, but softly smiled. "N-no, Jas, it's okay. I probably looked like a maniac just sitting here and staring off into space. I needed it." He snickered, "'Holy begonias'?" I blushed. "Shut up."

Some adults came over and helped Cal up and took him to a small red building by the locked gate. Momoko ran up to me, her hands trembling. "Jasper!" She gasped. "What happened to... oh my gosh..." Momoko got a glimpse of his burns as Cal looked back at us.

"There was an explosion in one of the floors or something and it caused a fire." I scanned my surroundings, then stared at the building. All I saw were black walls and burnt objects sprawled against ashes. The only floor unharmed was thirtieth floor and up. Strangely, some of the rooms on the floor, I cannot see.

Momoko folded her arms and bit her lip. I smelled something... familiar. Faint, but familiar. "Do you smell kerosene?" I asked her. She shook her head. "No, why?" She pondered. "Kerosene has a smell?"

I nodded. "It smells like gasoline and oil. Mostly oil. Nasty stuff that stains on clothes too. Like this one time back-" I stopped myself. What was I doing? The Vigilant had told me about fifty times not to mention my home.

Momoko stared at me, "Did your father work as a mechanic or something?" She rose a brow. I nodded, "Uh, yeah. Back in New Pork."

"New York?"

"Yeah, that."

"Ri-i-i-ight." She murmured. Suspicions raised? Oh yeah. Am I suspicious of her? Definitely. Her accent dropped five minutes ago. But it came back when Timmy, Angel, Midori, and Marz came around.

"Oh, Midori, are you okay?" Momoko asked, holding her hands. Midori nodded. She was silent. Today is opposite day. I just know it. "Cal got hurt..." She whispered into the sweater. It was Cal's. It was a little big on her, but a lot bigger on Cal.

"It wasn't your fault. He did what he had to do. He'll be okay." Momoko smiled at all of us, which did make me feel a tiny bit better. Angel nodded and reached out for both of them. Momoko stepped aside, comforting Midori a little more. Angel held Midori's arm. Angel was so kind to everyone, it's hard to believe such a person exists. But I'm glad she does.

Timmy said some words of encouragement, putting his arms around her and Angel's shoulders. "Yeah guys. Flavian is shy, short, and sarcastic, but he ain't weak." He cocked a brow at me. "Right, Jas?" I nodded. "Oh yeah. If anyone can handle burns, it's that kid. I'm sure of it."

I still had my doubts though. Cal may be smart and flexible mentally, but he's not too physically strong. I've seen the guy's walls crack, but then again, he always recovers.