Introduction 2: Black and Red

Sleep. Eat. Darkness. Fire. Work. Help. Basically the words of my godawful life. I scoop up the last shovel of coal into the fire. "Thank you." "No problem, Ms. Cornia." I say to the elderly woman holding a sleeping feline. 

Where I live was dark, polluted, boring, and poor. If you're wondering where exactly this is.. it's in the US. Just a secret city underground with no escape unless those 'dictators' let you. Everything I could ever want! Haha, no. What I really want was a place with food. Last week, I actually found some canned food on the ground. And I can tell that it was still good. I managed to open it with one of my father's old knives. 

Until a little kid covered in dirt came by. He looked sort of anorexic. Through his tight clothes, I could see the kid's ribcage no doubt. I needed to do something, as starving as I was. "Here, kid." I said, handing it towards him. He hesitated. 

"It's okay. Nothing's bad in it." I should know since I took like only one bite. I took my thumb and made an x over my chest. He nodded and scurried off quickly. I hate seeing people like this. Broken, sad, poor, filthy... They don't deserve it. 

The dictators here are very, very cruel. No one here is safe. I really want to do something about it, but if it means that my little sister is in trouble...

"Is there anything else you need, Ms. Cornia?" I asked. "No, son. I'm very fine. Thank you so much." She beamed, smiling a not-so-toothy smile. I tipped my brown cap at her and walked off to my apartment. Yeah, I'm only fourteen. I have an apartment. Deal with it.

I opened the door to find my lil sis on her usual bed. It was small, but it was good enough. I remove my fingerless gloves and throw them aside. Her face was pale, but she was still breathing. My sister, Bianca, she's... in a coma. 

There aren't any hospitals around here, so I have to take care of her myself. And the exception of the doctor next door, but he's usually out. Her hair was pure white while mine was jet-black. Ironic huh? 

I brushed my hair out of my eyes and took my hat off. "Hey, B. I brought you something." 

I took out something from my pocket. It was a small plush bunny toy I bought for a few nickels. It's pretty much useless. Although, I remember her running after these little things when we were younger. All I want is to see that smile she had on those days. I woke up from the door being knocked on. 

I immediately brushed my hair above my eyes and put my cap on. I got really messy hair. I walked over to the door and opened it up. Oh boy.. a Vigilum. Vigilums are basically just the police around here. And they're not so kind when it comes to us. 

"You, Braith?" The man in black attire and a helmet asked. "Mhm. What do you need, sir?" I asked, leaning against the doorframe. He handed me a small note. "We need you to get out of town and above ground. This note will explain." He said. "Your sister will be in good care while you're gone. Don't worry. The doctor next door will always come over." 

"Wha-" "You leave tomorrow." He said and left. I looked down on the note that had olive ink. 

Jasper Braith.