The True Villain

(Warning: This is seriously angsty. Like.... I'm not kidding here.)

"Here we are again..."

Garroth slowly opened his eyes, feeling absolutely nothing. None of his sins crawling on his back, no remorse or guilt for all the lives he had taken. Over and over again he ended the lives of the Monsters, but all for what reason?

For the sake of fun.

All around him was just black space. A void of emptiness. The edge of the world, he supposed. He tried to move his legs, but they refused to cooperate with him. He reached out with his arms, which were difficult to move. He couldn't feel any walls on either side of him, and no ceiling above him. The only thing he could do was turn around, and when he did.... there he was.

Laurance, the first fallen human.

He was just standing there, not moving. The bangs of his brown hair were casting shadows over his eyes. A red heart was stitched onto his green sweater, a knife in his hand. He wasn't smiling, and he wasn't frowning. His face was just... blank. Completely void of any emotion.

"Laurance...?" Garroth addressed him hesitantly, trying to take a step closer. " What happened?"

"The same thing that has happened over and over, Garroth." Laurance answered, his voice a monotone. "You chose the Genocide Route again, and again, and again, and again... I don't understand you. Don't you ever get tired of killing? Of gaining execution points, only to keep the same level of violence? I sure did."

"But I didn't do the Genocide Route this time! I didn't kill anyone, I showed mercy!" He pointed out, still unable to move his legs.

"You really think that doing one Pacifist Route is enough?" He questioned with a glare, his eyes flashing red. "That it's enough to redeem yourself? To make up for all the pain and suffering you caused?"

"I....." The blonde trailed off, looking at the strange ground.

"Let me ask you this, Garroth..." The brunette started, no signs of friendliness in his voice. "Do you think you're above consequences?"

"No, not at all." He answered immediately, shaking his head.

"..... Then what do you expect to find?" He asked, tilting his head. "A happy ending? All the secrets this world keeps?"

"I do want a happy ending." He nodded, but yelped as he felt a wave of pain. "Gh--!"

"You never thought twice or even once whenever you killed them. Aphmau, Dante, Gene, Travis, Katelyn, Aaron, Sasha.... all of them... they were all just objects to you." He growled lowly, clutching the knife tightly. "Why do you deserve a happy ending with them?"

For once, Garroth was speechless out of his will. Laurance had said the truth. Garroth was the source of all the pain in every route, in every reset of the world. He never thought about using the knife, about killing every Monster he came across. It wasn't murder, it was self-defense.... manslaughter.... right? It wasn't murder.... it wasn't his fault...

"Is that what you tell yourself?" Laurance asked, not one trace of pity in his voice. "That it was self-defense?"

"Why are you doing this!?" Garroth demanded, feeling the tears well up in his eyes. "You're the villain here, not me!!"

"You seem to be forgetting one important thing, Garroth." He sighed, flashing him a simple yet powerful smile. "The only person I ever killed was myself."

"You poisoned Aaron!" He shouted, trying to convince himself otherwise.

"On accident." He shrugged, one of the yellow flowers appearing in his hand. "And then I used them to poison myself."