The Massacre

It had started off as a normal day.

The daytime guards had all woken up earlier than the rest of the village, switching patrols with the nighttime guards. As part of the morning routine, the head guard had to wake up his second in command. Of course the second in command had his complaints, but he had finally gotten up and headed out on his patrol.

Then, as the sun began to climb up the sky, believers of Lady Irene left their homes to go to the hillside, where they would perform their morning prayers. The rest of the villagers began to wake up, starting a new day in Phoenix Drop. In just a few minutes the lord of the village, Lord Aphmau, ventured into the town to do her daily checkups on her people. (Okay why do I just inagine "The Circle of Life" from Lion King playing here)

But... that was this morning.

It was late afternoon now, and things in the village had drastically changed.

At first, Laurance had just thought that maybe some of the villagers were having a dispute. Disagreements and arguments between the villagers tended to be Phoenix Drop's only major issue, which made some of them wonder why they needed such a strong defense system.

Oh, how he wished that was the case.

The feeling in his gut had been growing more and more as the day progressed. It had become sickening, so sickening that it had caused him to actually vomit a few times. He had gone back to the village, taking a break from his patrol duty. He figured it was one of those times when you had something on your shoulders or mind, and you just had to tell someone. Anyone.

There were a few people in the village that Laurance trusted. He was still fairly new to Phoenix Drop, so he didn't know many of the villagers there. There were only three people knew and trusted; Aphmau, Cadenza, and Garroth.

When he had arrived at Cadenza's house, things were... unsettling. For one, he couldn't hear the record of classical music, he believed it was called Swan Lake or something like that. And, doing a quick check on the rose bushes in front, he saw that they hadn't been watered yet.

Now he knew something was definitely wrong.

Throwing the door open, there was no cry of surprise. He couldn't hear the roaring of the sewing machine downstairs. He practically ran down the stone staircase, a pit of fear digging itself in his stomach. A lump was forming in his throat, the fear visible on his face. He had some hope though. Perhaps she was just asleep. Cadenza had told him she was having trouble sleeping lately, and she had resulted to taking naps in the middle of the day.

What he found had not relieved him.

Cadenza was spread out on her bed, large nails hammered into her wrists and ankles. Long, thin lines were marking her torso. They were a deep crimson, oozing out blood that soaked and stained the bed the same dark shade. Her eyes were open. Cold and lifeless, but open. Her face was frozen in a state of shock, and small hints of betrayal.

Laurance ran to find Garroth and Aphmau. He had to tell them that Cadenza had been murdered.

He had searched the entire village, but everywhere he went he found more and more dead villagers. Molly, Dale, Emmalyn, Donna, Logan, Kiki, Zoey... even the unidentified guards had been brutally killed. At this point he had come to a realization that this was no normal string of murders, this was a massacre.

Oh Irene, not again... please... Laurance was pleading with desperation, remembering the horrid events that had taken place at the orphanage he had grown up in.

Eventually he had found himself at the hillside where the statue of Lady Irene was placed. A trail of bloody footsteps had led him this way, that and his roaming about in a search to find someone alive, to find anyone alive.