Chapter 3

I roll over in my bed and shield my eyes from the intruding sun coming through my window. I sit up and look over when Starla comes bouncing in. She hops on my bed. "Pepper, Emmett is coming home today!" she says excitedly. I nod and yawn. "Yeah i know. Are you ready to go get him?", i look down at her outfit. "Did you dress yourself?" i ask. She nods. I stifle a laugh looking at her bright pink leggings, leopard spotted skirt, and neon green shirt. I smirk when i see her mismatched shoes. "I did a good job didn't I?" she looks down at her outfit. I laugh and nod. "Yeah little bit, you did great

We all pile into the car and my dad starts driving to the airport. Mom meets my eyes in the rear view mirror and smiles at me. I smile back and then look out the window. "I can't wait to see Emmett! He said we're gonna bake cookies, and play with my dollies, and dress up!" Starla rambles on. I rest my head on the window and close my eyes. "Pepper? You feeling okay?" Dad asks me. I nod and open my eyes. "Just excited is all" i give him a weak smile.  

We finally arrive to the airport and file out of the car. I grab Starla's hand and start walking to the entrance. Mom grabs the sign we made out of the trunk and her and dad follow behind. Starla practically bounces talking a mile a minute. I tune her out and walk to the gate we're supposed to meet Emmett at. "Pepper? Pepper? Are you listening to me?" Starla tugs on my arm. I look down and smile. "Yeah i'm listening. Keep going" I look for Emmett in the crowd as passengers start getting off the plane. 

"EMMETT!" Starla yells and takes off running. I laugh and shake my head watching as she jumps into his arms. Emmett swings her around grinning and walks over to us. "Hey mom, dad" he hugs our parents then ruffles my hair. "What's up rugrat"he grins. I roll my eyes and bat his hand away."Seems like freshman fifteen is real huh?" I motion to his stomach. He scoffs and rolls his eyes. "One, i'm no longer a freshman. Two, there ain't no fat over here. It's all rock hard abs" he says. Dad laughs and shakes his head. "Alright let's enough you two. Why don't we take you home to drop off your stuff and then we'll head back out for some breakfast" he says. 

After stopping by the house to drop off Emmett's things we head over to Cracker Barrel for some breakfast. Once we're seated Emmett starts telling us about all the things he's been doing at USC. I listen partially while staring out the window. "Pepper? Your brother asked you a question" Dad waves his hand in front of my face. I look over and smile. "Sorry, what?" i ask.  

Emmett looks at me suspiciously. "I said how are things going with Ben?" he asks. My smile drops. "Oh we broke up." I say. Dad looks at me startled. "What? When? Is that why you've been distracted all morning? What happened?" he asks. "David don't pester her" scolds him. I shake my head. "We broke up last night. He cheated." I say. "He did what?"Emmett yells. People turn to look at us. "Emmett! Lower your voice!"mom hisses. 

I nod. "Yep. That's why i came back home so early last night" I say. " I'm gonna kick his a-"Mom cuts him off. "Watch your language young man. You are going to do no such thing. Now let's enjoy our breakfast and we will talk about this later. As a family." she says. "But-"Mom cuts Emmett off again. "What did i just say?"she says. He sighs and turns to his plate. "Fine" he mutters.  

After we get back home we all go to the living room. Dad asks me to explain exactly what happened, and even though it hurts i do so. I watch as Emmett paces the room. "Emmett sit down now! You're making us all antsy." Mom says to him. Dad shakes his head. "I can't believe he would do something like this to you. How are you feeling?"he asks. I shrug. "Hurt. Angry. Disappointed" I say.  

Mom nods understandingly and puts her hand on top of mine. "What do you want me to do? Do you want me to beat him up? Because you know i will"Emmett says. I smile and shake my head. "No, it won't do any good. I'll still be upset" I say. 

We all look up when the doorbell rings. Emmett goes to answer it and a few seconds later i hear him shouting. "What are you doing here? You have ten seconds to leave before-" I push my way in front of him and frown when i see Ben. "You need to leave. I have nothing to say to you." I say. "Can we please just talk this out? I'm sorry for hurting you. I want to be with you, not that other girl. It's all a big misunderstanding." he pleads. Mom steps in front of me and Emmett. "Well you should have thought of that before you cheated on my daughter. Just go on now."she tells him. 

 Ben gives me a pleading look before stepping off the porch and getting back in his car. I watch as he pulls out of the driveway and then turn and run upstairs to my room. I lay down on my bed and bury my head in my pillow. "Just let her be alone right now. It's what she needs" i hear mom say outside of my door. I agree with her internally and stare out the window.

A few hours later i wake up. I yawn and look at my clock before getting out of bed. I stand up and start to exit my room when i feel sick. I rush to the bathroom and barely make it to the toilet in time. I throw up my breakfast and wipe my mouth with some tissue. I flush the toilet and stand up. I wash my hands and then brush my teeth. 

I start to head downstairs again and frown when i spot my calendar out the corner of my eye. I walk over to it and frown when i realize my period is five days late. "Maybe it's just irregular this month" I shrug it off and head downstairs. If only I had realized it wasn't just irregular.