Chapter 6

It's the day of my doctor's appointment and my mom is signing me in at the front desk. I look out the window for Ben and his parents and smile when I see them.  Dad is beside me flipping through a magazine. "Are you nervous?" he asks me. I turn back to look at him. "I'm not sure. More anxious than anything" I look up when a nurse calls my name and I stand. 

"They're calling us back." I say to Ben when he walks in. "Is it alright if I come back with you?" he asks hesitantly. I think for a moment before nodding. "You can come." I say. Ben smiles slightly and follows me and my parents back into a room. The nurse opens the door and steps inside. "Pepper just jump up on that table and the doctor will be with you shortly" she smiles and walks out. 

I hop up onto the table and lay back against the paper. Mom looks around the room. "I-" she stops when the OB/GYN enters. "Good morning, i'm Dr. Bennett and i'll be the one assisting you throughout your whole pregnancy" Dr. Bennett smiles at me. I wave and shift nervously. "I take it you're the parents?" she motions to mom and dad. Dad nods. "And you're the boyfriend?" she asks Ben. Ben coughs, "Ex actually." he says. 

Dr. Bennett nods and takes her seat. "Lift up your shirt for me." she says, I pull my shirt up exposing my stomach. "This might be a little cold" Dr.Bennett says. I flinch slightly when she squirts the gel onto my tummy. She takes the transducer probe and places it on my tummy. I gasp when a loud thumping sound fills the room. "That's your baby's heartbeat." Dr.Bennett explains. 

I feel my eyes water as I listen to it. "Is it supposed to be that fast?" Ben asks. Dr.Bennett smiles and nods. "Yep, that's a healthy baby" she says. "How many weeks is she?" Mom asks. Dr.Bennett moves the probe around a little more. "About twelve weeks along. Here, wipe your stomach." she hands me a napkin. "Are you taking any prenatal vitamins yet?" she asks. I shake my head. "Alright we'll need to get you on some as soon as possible" she grabs her clipboard and stands up. "I'll be right back" she says and then walks out.  

"It seems so much more real now." I say. "What do you mean? It's always been real." Mom says. I nod, "Yeah I know, I just mean since we saw the baby on-screen and actually heard the heartbeat it seems more real" I say. "What are you thinking?" dad asks Ben. Ben looks up, "I'm just kind of nervous. About being a dad I mean. I'm only seventeen" he says. "Well it's going to be hard, there's no sugarcoating that, but you'll be fine." Dad says. 

Dr.Bennett enters the room again and hands mom a slip of paper. "This is a prescription for the prenatal vitamins she'll need. You can get this at any local pharmacy." she turns to me. "Well Pepper, it was nice meeting you. You can schedule an appointment up at the front desk." she turns to my parents and Ben. "It was nice meeting you all as well. I hope to see ya'll soon." she smiles and walks out. "Thank you!"Mom calls out standing up. 

"Ready to go?" Dad asks standing. I nod and jump down from the table. "When will we be able to find out the gender?" Ben asks walking out. "If I remember correctly Pepper will have to be at least sixteen weeks before ya'll are able to know the gender." mom says. Dr.Bennett stops us before we leave, "I almost forgot, do you want the ultrasound pictures?" she asks. I look over at Ben and he nods. "Yes please." I say. 

After we receive the pictures from the ultrasound we head back home. "I'm so sleepy, and hungry" I say walking into the house. "You better get used to that feeling. It won't stop anytime soon." mom places her purse down and goes into the kitchen. Emmett walks out of the living room, "Well? How'd it go?" he asks. I sit down in the recliner, "It went well. We got to hear the heartbeat." I turn on the TV.  

Emmett nods. "Was the douche there?" he asks. "Emmett stop with the name calling!" mom yells from the kitchen. "Ears like a frigging bat" he mutters. "I heard that!" mom yells. I smirk and shake my head. "Yes he was there. And before you ask, yes he was on his best behavior." I say. 

"He better have been. I know where he lives." Emmett says. "Oh shut up." Dad says walking in. "You wouldn't hurt a fly you little punk." he says. I crack up laughing as Emmett's jaw drops. "Close your mouth, I can smell your breath from over here." Dad says turning a channel on the TV. Mom walks into the living room. 

 "Mom! Dad called me a punk. And he said my breath stinks." Emmett says. Mom rolls her eyes, "Has your dad ever lied?" she says smirking. Dad laughs gives Emmett a "that's what you get" look. I shake my head and look at the TV. My family is so silly sometimes. Starla runs into the living room. "What have I told you about running in the house?" Dad says. "Sorry papa." Starla squeezes her way in between Emmett and mom. 

I go to answer the door when someone rings the doorbell. "Oh, hey! I didn't know you guys were coming over." I let Tori and Gem in. "We came to see how your appointment went" I follow them as the walk upstairs to my room. Gem sits crossed leg on my bed and Tori sits at my desk. "So how'd it go? Do you know the gender? Was Ben there?" they bombard me with questions. I laugh, "Guys slow down. It went fine. No we don't know they gender yet, and yes Ben was there." I say. 

"Are you completely sure you want to raise this baby?" Tori asks. I sigh and roll my eyes to the ceiling. "Why does everyone keep asking me that?" I say. "Because Pepper. You're young, you have your whole life ahead of you. A baby is going to slow that down. Did you even really think about this?" Tori asks. Leave it to her to ask the deep questions. I roll my eyes again. "Yes I've thought about it. I've thought about it plenty and I know that I want to keep my baby." 

"I may be young but I can be responsible. I know it'll be hard, especially since me and Ben aren't together right now but I want to give this kid a good life. Like the kind I had. And I think only I am capable of doing that." I say. Tori stares at me for a moment before nodding. "If you're sure you know we'll support you. I just want what's best for you." she says. "You sound like her mom" Gem grins. Tori laughs and sticks her tongue out at her. "We all know i'm the most level-headed of the group." 

If that isn't the truth.