Chapter 18

The first few months of school has come and gone. We're in October, my favorite time of year! Luna is four months old already. She's getting so big. Ben got his spot on the football team so now he's not so annoying anymore. My friends and I are closer than ever before. 

"So are you going to Jake Miller's Halloween party? It's the biggest party of the year." Gem asks popping up beside my locker. I jump and glare at her. "What I have told you about scaring me like that?!" Gem shrugs and takes her sucker out of her mouth. "Sorry. So are you going?"

I  shrug and grab my books. I close the locker. "I don't know. Ben wants to go but neither of our parents can baby sit that night." I say. "Let my mom do it. You know she loves Luna." Tori says popping up behind me. I glare at her. "You two just make it your personal mission to scare me don't you?" I huff. 

Tori smirks. "Nah. You just need to grow a bigger backbone girl." she says. "I don't know though. I've never left Luna with your mom before." I ponder. Tori shrugs. "She's always wanted to babysit Luna." she says. "Take her with you." Gem says. Tori gives her a wide eyed look. "Girl don't be dense. It's a party. That will no doubt have-" she stops when a teacher walks by.

"Morning Mr. Andrews." she gives him a syrupy sweet smile. He nods and keeps walking. "That will no doubt have underage drinking, many many hot sweaty bodies, and probably drugs! A baby cannot be exposed to that." she says. Gem frowns at her and shrugs. "It was just a thought." she mumbles. "What if we do our own thing at my house? We can watch movies, eat popcorn and candy, and paint each other's faces." I suggest. 

"You two can do that. I'm too old and too fun for that. Oh look, there's Dylan." she fluffs her hair and struts away. "Okay, I know I've been pretty distracted, so what was that about?" I turn to Gem. Gem gives me a sad look. "She's changing Pep. She's started hanging out with the "in" crew." she makes air quotes. "And half the time she acts like she's too good for us. How haven't you noticed?" she asks. 

I shrug. "I dunno. I've just been preoccupied with school work, auditions for the school play, and Luna." I shake my head. "I can't believe it. We've stuck together through elementary, middle, and part of high school. I'm staging an intervention. We're gonna knock some sense into that girl. Can you get her to my house tonight?" I ask.

Gem nods. "Yeah definitely. I'll see you later though. I have to get to class." she waves and runs off. I really have been out of it. I guess I kinda noticed that Tori was changing, but I've been so busy with things I just shrugged it off. I've really got to stop doing that. 

After last period I head on to Ben's car and wait for him. I grab my phone when it chimes and read the text from Ben. "Sorry, football practice. Come & grab the keys." I sigh and start walking to the football field. I stop when I hear familiar voices behind the school. 

"Why don't you believe me? You're the only one I've been with." a girl's voice hisses lowly. I recognize it as Tori's. "Oh please. We both know that you get around quite a lot." the other voice - Dylan's- says. Wait, is Tori pregnant? "You better get tested. You're the only one I've been with, despite your claims, and the only person I could have got it from is you!" she snaps. 

I scramble back quickly to make it look like I just came out of the school. "Hey Tori." I smile when she walks by. I watch as she takes a deep breath and wipes her watery eyes and then smiles. "Hey Pep. Gem told me about you wanting us all to meet up at your place. What time?" I think for a moment. "Seven." I say. Tori nods. "Alright. I'll see you later." she walks away.