Chapter 23: Ben

So I know you guys are probably wondering what it is that my mom left me since I didn't elaborate the last time. So first let me explain how my dad found it. My dad was up in the attic going through my mom's old stuff to figure out what to give away. There was a box that she had obviously marked and put up there before she died. 

It said "Do NOT under any circumstances give this away." My dad opened the box and there was a note on top. Some of the things that my mom left in the box were solely for my dad but she left me something. It was a ring. Her wedding ring that my dad gave her to be exact. 

I don't know why she gave it to me since I don't plan on getting married anytime soon but she's always hoped me and Pepper would stay together long-term. My mom is one of those people who believe in true love and happily ever after. I can't too much blame her though after seeing her relationship with my dad.  

I hid it because I knew Pepper would go snooping around for it. Which is exactly what she did because I got her riffling through drawers and she came up with some lame excuse when I asked what she was doing. Don'g get me wrong though, I love Pepper and I do see a future with her one day but I don't think-in fact I'm sure- neither one of us is ready for that. 

Today is the day of the football game and I've invited my dad, David Pepper's dad, Emmett, and my friend Darren to go with me. I've been arguing with Pepper for the past thirty minutes to me take Luna to the game. "I just don't get why I can't take her!" I say. Pepper rolls her eyes. 

"Because she's too young, it's too cold, and it'll be too loud. She won't remember anyways. And plus you'll get aggravated when you have to leave to change her diaper or put her to sleep and everything else." she says. I make a face. "I will not." I say. Pepper smirks. "Yes you will. That's exactly what you did when we went to see Incredibles 2" she says. 

"That was your idea! I don't even know why you wanted to take her. She slept and babbled half the time. You were the one that got annoyed! I didn't even want to go see the movie." I mutter. "Lies! You begged me to go see that movie with you." Pepper says. "Shush!" I lace up my shoes and grab my coat. 

"Don't shush me. You shush." Pepper bucks at me. I hold back a laugh and roll my eyes. "Yeah whatever." I put my wallet in my pocket. "Bye." I kiss her and walk over to Luna. I pick her up and smother her cheek with kisses. Luna giggles and pushes my face away. "Oh wow. I'm hurt. You learned that from your mean mommy didn't you?" I smirk when I see Pepper's face. 

I stick my tongue out at her and put Luna back down. "Ben hurry up!" Emmett yells. "Bye guys. Bite your mommy for me Luna." I shut the door quickly when Pepper tosses a pillow at me. "Your dad is a idiot" I hear her say. "Hey! Don't insult me in front of my kid." I call out. 

"Shut up and go to your ball game." Pepper says. I chuckle and walk downstairs. "Took you long enough." Emmett mutters. I narrow my eyes at him. "Don't forget that I'm the one who has the tickets and I have another friend that would be more than happy to take your spot." I say. I smirk when I see his eyes widen. 

David chuckles and grabs his keys. "Enough bickering. You and Pepper do enough of that. Let's go pick up the other two." he says. Emmett bucks at me and walks out the door. I snort and follow him out. "I'll tell your mom." I call out. "Snitches get stitches!" Emmett calls out. 

"Shut up fool or you'll be the one getting stitches." David says unlocking the car. I laugh. "I call shotgun!" I say walking over the car. "Nope. This is my car." Emmett blocks the door. "Emmett you don't pay not one bill on this car. Get in the back." David gets in the car. I smirk and wait for him to move. "Turned my own family against me." Emmett mutters getting in the back seat. 

I snort and get in the car. I put on my seat belt. "You got the tickets right?" David asks. I pull them out of my wallet. David nods backing out of the driveway. "Okay good." she starts driving to my dad's house. "Couldn't convince Pepper to let you bring Luna?" Emmett smirks in the back seat. "Nope. Just like you couldn't convince your parents to let you be the favorite child." I say. 

Emmett glares at me and crosses his arms looking out the window. David smirks and shakes his head. He pulls into my dad's driveway and honks twice. I shake my head when my dad comes running out the door. "He's really excited isn't he?" David grins. I laugh and nod. "Yeah I guess so. It's been a while since he's been to a game." I say. 

My dad opens the car door and gets inside. "Hey guys" he grins and shuts the door putting on his seat belt. "Hey dad." I turn up the heat. "Hey Mr.Martinez. Your son's being a complete jerk today." Emmett narrows his eyes at me. Dad laughs and shrugs. "I don't know what you want me to do about it. He is the ticket holder after all." he says. 

I shoot Emmett a smug look. Darren comes running out his house as soon as the car stops. "Bye ma! Yes I have a coat. Yes I have gloves. Ma!" he stops and rolls his eyes stomping back over to his mother who's standing in the door way. I snort when she wraps a scarf around his neck and puts a hat on his head. 

"I remember when your mom used to do the same for us anytime I took you somewhere." dad says watching the exchange. I smile. "Yeah I remember too. I hated it." I say. Dad snorts. "Hated? That's a soft term for it. You threw a hissy fit once when you were five because she wouldn't let you go outside without a coat." dad says. 

David chuckles. "That sounds exactly like what Emmett would do." he says. "Hey! I never do that." Emmett protests. "Oh yes you do. You did it just last week too." I say. "You shut up." Emmett says. I pull out my phone as Darren gets in the car and pretend to call someone. "Hey dude Emmett got sick. You still wan-" Emmett knocks my phone out of my head. 

"No, I'm sorry!" he says. Everyone in the car starts laughing. "Oh man that was hilarious son." my dad wipes his eyes. "Teach me your ways." David smirks. I laugh picking my phone up off the car floor. I put it in my pocket and look out the window. "It's not even funny." Emmett grumbles. 

"Oh but it kinda is." Darren smirks. "Hey! Stop the violence." Darren yells when Emmett hits the back of his head. He reaches across my dad and punches Emmett in the arm. "Ow!" Emmett yells. He pinches Darren's leg. "Hey!" Darren grabs Emmett's ear and tugs on it. 

"Stop it!" Emmett yells. He reaches across my dad and pulls Darren's ear. All the while my dad is cracking up laughing. I smirk and shake my head. "They're like a bunch of children." I mutter. David parks the car when we get to the stadium. Emmett and Darren are still warring with each other in the back. 

Emmett shouts when Darren hits him on the lip. "Stop you two! You better not get in here acting like a fool because if you I'm going to embarrass you both by dragging you out by yours ears!" David says. Darren and Emmett glare at each other rubbing their ears. "You guys are idiots." I say getting out of the car. I check again to make sure I have the tickets and put my wallet in my pocket. "Takes one to know one."  Emmett bucks at me and starts walking. Darren shoves him out of the way and falls in step behind me. 

I glance over at him and shake my head. "You're such a child you know that?" I smirk. Darren grins and shrugs. "Yeah I know. What about it?" he says. I roll my eyes. "Alright hold on to your tickets guys and do not lose them." I hand everyone their tickets and hold my tightly in my hand. 

"Oh no!" Emmett yells when his ticket starts flying away. I snatch it out of the air and shake my head at him. Emmett grins sheepishly and holds his hand out for it. "I don't think so. I'll hold on to this until it's time to turn them in." I say. 

David shakes his head. "And you wonder why everyone says you still act like a child." Emmett grins and shrugs. "It was an accident. I got distracted." he says. "By what?" my dad asks. "Her." Emmett grins and points to a girl ahead of us. I roll my eyes and keep walking. 

It's going to be a long day with this fool. Save me now.