Chapter 17: Ben

I sit up startled when my alarm goes off. I groan and stand up. "Pepper wake up." I shake her. Pepper sleeps like the dead. "Go away." she mumbles turning over. I chuckle quietly. "No, wake up. We have a hour to get ready." I shake her again. Pepper mutters and sits up pushing her hair out of her face. "Morning." she mumbles. I kiss her forehead. "Morning, I call dibs on the first shower." I run to the bathroom. 

I laugh when I hear something thud against the door and grin. I turn on the shower and get in. I get dressed after getting out and put on deodorant. I spray some cologne on. Pepper hands Luna to me. "There's a bottle in the fridge downstairs." she says going into the bathroom. I nod and walk downstairs with Luna. 

I warm the bottle and feed it to her. I look around the kitchen and put coffee into the coffee pot. I grab some pop tarts and put them in the toaster. "Morning." Melissa walks into the kitchen. "Good morning. Say good morning to grandma." I say to Luna. "Grandma? I way too young for that. I was thinking Gigi" she says. I smirk. "Alright Gigi." I say. Melissa reaches for Luna.

I take the pop tarts out of the toaster as Pepper walks downstairs with three bags. "We're going to school. Not on vacation." I smirk. Pepper narrows her eyes at me. "Haha you're so funny. These are for Luna." she says. I watch as she fills one bag with about six bottles. Pepper grabs one of the pop tarts and bites into it walking back upstairs. 

I grab the other pop tart and bite into it. "Here, take these with you." Melissa hands me a bag with two sausage biscuits and jelly packets. "And don't eat them both" she narrows her eyes at me. I grin sheepishly and nod. "I won't"  

Pepper comes back downstairs a few minutes later."Ready?" she asks. I nod. "Yeah, let me just go brush my teeth." I jog upstairs and brush my teeth. I grab Luna's car seat and walk back downstairs. "Bye Mom. Love you." Pepper grabs Luna and puts her in the car seat.

"I love you too. Have a good day." Melissa waves and walks upstairs. "Alright, let's get this show on the road." I pick up the car seat and go outside to my car.I unlock it and strap Luna's car seat in the back. I get in the driver's side and put on my seat belt. I look over at Pepper when she puts on her seat belt.

"Nervous?" I ask. She nods. "Yeah a little bit. I'm mostly nervous about leaving Luna. I've never been away from her this long." she sighs. "She'll be fine with my aunt and uncle. She probably won't even notice we're gone." I say. Pepper glares at me. "Not helping." she mutters.  

I smirk and shrug. "I know it's hard but we'll only be gone for a few hours. She'll be fine." I assure her. Pepper nods and turns on the radio. I pull into my dad's driveway and park the car. "I'm gonna take her in." I say. "I'm coming with." Pepper gets out of the car. I take the keys out and grab Luna's car seat and bag from the back. 

I start to knock but stop when the door is thrown open. "Ben! Luna." my dad grins and takes the car seat from me. I shake my head and walk inside. My dad takes Luna out of the car seat and hugs her to him carefully. I put the bag on the couch. 

"Thanks for watching her." Pepper says. "Of course! I love Luna." he grins and sits down. I glance at Pepper and frown when I see her eyes watering. "Oh come on. Don't cry, she'll be fine." I hug her. "I know she will, but what about me!" Pepper cries. "It's so hard leaving her. Even if only for a few hours." she sniffs and rubs her eyes. 

"You could face time me if you wanted. Just not during class, but during your lunch or free period." Dad says. Pepper sniffs and nods. "Okay. Thanks." she kisses Luna's forehead. "Bye baby. Let's go before I cry again." Pepper walks over to the door. I nod and kiss Luna's forehead. "I love you." I whisper.