Chapter 21: Ben

It's a week from Christmas and Pepper's birthday is the day before. I have no idea what to get her.  I wanted to plan her a birthday party but she said she didn't want one. Now I have to decide what to get her. "Why don't you buy her a gift card to Starbucks or something?" Darren suggests. 

I shake my head. "Nah. She already has like ten of those." I say. We walk in and out of different stores in the mall. I walk over when I spot a jewelry store. "Maybe I could get her a charm bracelet." I say. "You know those things are expensive right?" Darren says. 

"Yeah I know. I have money to spare. There's the charms." I walk over to a wall filled with different charms. "Look, a coffee cup." Darren smirks and grabs it. I laugh. "That's a good one. Hold onto it." I look at the other charms. I grab a baby carriage charm and a book charm. 

"What about this one?" Darren holds up a charm that says movie marker. I nod. "I think these are enough for now. I still need to get the bracelet." I hold the charms in my hand and walk over to the counter. "Find everything you were looking for?" the cashier asks. "Almost. I just need a bracelet to put these on." I look through the display. 

"Here's one." the cashier unlocks the display and places it on the counter. I grin and nod. "That's perfect." I say. "That'll be one-hundred-twenty-five dollar and seventy-five cents." he says. Darren whistles lowly behind me. I roll my eyes and hand him my credit card. "Thank you for shopping with us. Have a nice day." the cashier says handing me the bag.  

I put my credit card back in my wallet and grab the bag. "Thanks man. You too." I walk out of the store. "You still have to get her a Christmas present." Darren says. I narrow my eyes at him. "You think this is funny don't you?" I say. Darren smirks and shrugs. "Yeah, maybe." he says.

"Let's go there." he points to a sports clothing store. I nod and follow him. "I think my mom would like this." he holds up as basketball jersey. I roll my eyes. "I highly doubt that. You just want it for yourself." I say. Darren grins ad shrugs. "I'm neither denying nor confirming that accusation." he puts the jersey back. 

"You don't have to. I know you." I look around the store and sit down on a bench. "I'm gonna try on some shoes." Darren calls out. I roll my eyes. "Yeah yeah." I take out my phone. Darren walks over to me. "What do you think about these?" he asks. "They're nice." I mumble. "You didn't even look at them." he says. 

I smirk and look up. "They look nice. Can we go now?" I stand up. Darren rolls his eyes and puts the shoes back. "Fine." he mutters. I laugh. "Are you mad now? You know I hate coming to the mall. I only came because I had to get Pepper something." Darren gives me a look. "Nice to know how much you value our friendship." he sniffles. 

I burst out laughing. "You need to stop, seriously." I snort and shake my head. Darren grins. "Fine. I won't invite you next time." Darren unlocks his car and gets in. "You'll be texting me next week asking if I want to go to the mall." I smirk and get in the car.  "I will not. From this point on I will no longer invite you to the mall." 

"Yeah sure. We'll see how long that lasts." I put on my seat belt. "Since you're so sure let's make a bet. I go a full month without inviting you to the mall then I get your... air pods and fifty bucks. If you win you-" I cut him off. "I think I'll decide what I get when I win." I smirk. 

"Alright then. It's a bet. Shake on it." he spits on his hand and holds it out. I look down at his hand and up at him. "You better get that away from me. That's disgusting." I make a face. Darren laughs and wipes his hand on his jeans. I watch as he squirts hand sanitizer into his hand and then holds it out to me. I shake his hand. 

"Let the games begin." he grins. "I don't even know why we're doing this. You know I'm going to win." I say. "So confident. I can't wait to knock you down a peg or three." Darren pulls into Pepper's driveway. "We'll see who knocks who down. See you later man." I climb out of the car. "You better get ready to fork over my money!" Darren yells out the window. 

I chuckle and go inside the house. "Is Pepper here?" I ask Melissa. She shakes her head. "No she took Luna and went out to lunch with Tori." she says. "Okay good." I grab some wrapping paper and sit down on the couch. "How do you do this?" I ask after getting my finger stuck in the bow for the fifth time. 

Melissa snorts and grabs the box and the wrapping paper. "I'm only going to show you once so pay attention." she instructs. I nod and watch as she wraps the gift and then ties the bow neatly. "There." she hands me the box. I grin. "Thanks Mel." I put the box under the tree and stand up. "I'm gonna go nap before work." I walk upstairs. 

I yawn and take off my coat. I kick off my shoes and dive into the bed. Don't you guys just love sleep? I sure do. I close my eyes and bury my head under my pillow. I wake up a few hours later when my alarm clock goes off. I start to roll over and frown when I feel something on my back. I turn my head and chuckle quietly when I see Luna sleeping on my back. 

I glance over and see Pepper cuddled up beside me. I slip Luna off my back carefully and place her beside Pepper. I stand up quietly and walk over to the bathroom.  I go through my routine and grab my shoes. I kiss Pepper and Luna's forehead and walk out of the room shutting the door behind me. 

"Gotta go to work. I'll see you guys later." I wave to Pepper's family and get into my car. I look down when my phone rings and my dad's number flashes across the screen. "Hey dad. I was just about to go to work." I say. "Ben, I need you to come over." he says. I frown. "Right now? I was on-" he cuts me off. "Is everything okay?" I start the car. 

"Everything is...fine. I found something of your mom's that I think you might want to see." he says. "Okay. I'm on the way."