Chapter 12: Ben

"W-what do you mean?" I ask my dad. "Son, your mom is in the hospital. It's pretty bad. She wants you here." my dad says. I stand quickly. Pepper looks at me worriedly and stands up. "What's wrong?" she asks. "I'll be right there as soon as possible." I hang up. "I have to go. It's my mom. She's in the hospital." I moved towards the door. "I'll come with you." Pepper follows me. 

"No!" I snap. Pepper's step falters. She looks at me with a hurt expression.  I step towards her, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I'll come back later okay?" I kiss her forehead and step towards the door. "I'm coming with you whether you like it or not." Pepper follows. I let out a deep breath and roll my head to the ceiling.  

"Pep-" Pepper cuts me off. "It's not up for debate. Hurry up." she slips on her shoes and grabs her jacket. I shake my head and put on my boots. "Fine let's go. Put that jacket on." I grab my keys. "What are you, my father?" Pepper says. I shoot her a look, "Just put the jacket on." I say walking outside. I hear Pepper mumbling behind me and then her footsteps following after me. 

"What's wrong with your mom?" Pepper asks getting into the car. "I know just about as much as you do." I say starting the car. "Do you thin-" I cut her off. "I said I don't know Pepper!" I snap. Pepper stares at me before sitting back in the seat and putting on her seat belt. She crosses her arms and looks out the window. I sigh and put my head on the steering wheel. "I'm sorry okay? I'm just really worried about her and it doesn't hel- never mind. I'm sorry." I start the car and reverse out of the driveway. 

I drum my fingers on the steering wheel thinking about all the things that could be wrong with my mom. I look over when Pepper places her hand on my leg. "She'll be okay Ben." she says reassuringly. Oh how I wish I could believe her. I park the car as close to the hospital as I can get. I jump out. "Come on Pep." I say hurriedly. 

"Don't rush me. You do realize I'm pregnant right?" she gets out of the car. "Don't sass me." I grab her hand and pull her along with me. I slow down when I hear her breathing hard beside me. I look down at her. "Sorry babe" I say. Pepper nods. "It's okay. I know you're worried about your mom." she smiles. I nod and open the entrance door. I let her in first and then walk behind her. I walk over to the counter. "Um I'm looking for my mom. Olivia Martinez." "She's in room number thirty-six. Right down that hall and then take a left." the secretary says. 

"Thanks, come on Pepper." I start walking. Pepper follows behind me looking around. "I hate hospitals" she whispers. I snort. "You and me both." I stop in front of my mom's door and take a deep breath. Pepper grabs my hand and squeezes it. I give her a weary smile and push open the door. I pause when I see my mom. She's gotten worse, much worse. I walk over to her beside. "Ma?" I run my hand over her hair. Her eyes pop eye. 

"Ben." she smiles tiredly. "How you feeling ma?" I ask her. "Oh you know. My usual crappy self." she coughs a little. I turn to look at my dad. "What's wrong with her?" I ask. "The doctor says the cancer has spread. They're doing everything they can to save her but, it's not working." he says quietly. "There has to be something we can do! What about surgery? Or radiation the-" mom cuts me off. 

"Ben it's okay. We all knew this day would come eventually. There's nothing we can do." mom coughs again. I feel my eyes water. "There has to be something. You have to fight ma. We can't lose you." my voice cracks. Mom smiles up at me. "You'll be just fine." she pats my hand. "You have your dad, and Pepper-" she shifts in the bed and grimaces in pain. "You have Pepper's parents and your unborn child." she says.