Chapter 22

I groan when someone jumps on my bed and open my eyes. "Pepper get up! It's Christmas!" Starla yells jumping up and down on my bed. "Mommy's making waffles!" she shouts in my ear and then runs out. "Waffles?!" I see Emmett run out of his room and down the stairs. I roll my eyes and stretch. "I can't believe she woke us up for waffles." Ben mutters sitting up. Luna babbles in her crib and sticks her foot in her mouth. 

"Morning baby girl." Ben lifts her out and kisses her cheek. "Wanna go eat some waffles?" he walks over to the door and goes downstairs. I watch as he walks out. Something's been bugging him lately but he won't tell me what. All he said was that his dad gave him something of his mom's. He hid it pretty well because believe me, I've been snooping. 

I walk over to the bathroom and relieve myself then wash my hands. I put some water on my hair and brush it down then brush my teeth. I shiver and slip on my hoodie then walk downstairs. "Morning." I mumble pouring a cup of coffee. "You look tired." my dad says. "I am. Someone jumped on my bed way too early this morning." I narrow my eyes at Starla. 

Starla giggles and shrugs. My mom sets down a plate of bacon and pops my dad's hand when he tries to grab some. "No. You'll wait otherwise I'll have to make more." she says. Dad narrows his eyes at her rubbing his hand. "Don't pop me woman. I'm a grown man." he mumbles under his breath. "What was that?" Mom asks. 

"Nothing. I said nothing." he drinks his coffee quickly. "That's what I thought." mom says. I smirk and shake my head. They're like this every morning. It's ridiculous. "When are we opening presents?" Starla says. "After we eat. Sit down." mom says. I sit down at the table and sip my coffee.  "No stop. You'll burn yourself." Ben slides his coffee cup out of Luna's reach. 

I shake my head and smirk when I see Emmett stuffing waffles in his mouth. "Slow down before you choke fool." Dad says. Emmett grins sheepishly . "Ew close your mouth. I'm eating." Starla frowns at him. I snort and sip my coffee. "You're talking with your mouth open too you know." I say. "Am not." she glares at me. "Don't start you two." Mom says. 

Ben curses and stands up quickly. "What's wrong with you?" Dad looks over at him. Ben grabs a paper towel and wipes his hand. "She peed on me." Ben glances down at his pants. Emmett bursts out laughing and slaps the table. "It's not funny." Ben grumbles. He huffs and walks upstairs. "Shut up Emmett. You sound like a donkey." Mom says when he keeps laughing. 

Emmett snorts and coughs. He thumps his chest and a piece of waffle flies out of his mouth and hits mom in the forehead. Everyone at the table freezes. Mom clears her throat. "I'm going to pretend like that didn't happen." she wipes her forehead with a paper towel. "Sorry momma." Emmett grins. 

Ben comes back downstairs a few minutes later. "All better?"I smirk. He narrows his eyes at me and grabs Luna's pacifier off the counter. "You think it's funny don't you?". I grin and shrug. "Only a little." I respond. "Mhm. I hope she throws up on you." he smirks and goes into the living room. 

"Now that's just mean." I grab my coffee cup and follow behind. "I want to open my present first!" Starla says. Dad rolls his eyes discreetly. "Okay Star, go ahead." he hands her the first present. Starla grins excitedly and rips it open. "Hello everyone!" Ben's dad James bellows walking into the living room. "Hey dad." Ben grins. James grins and grabs Luna from him. 

"Yes! It's a Baby Alive!" Starla yells. "You mean those creepy talking things?" Emmett says. Starla glares at him. "They aren't creepy. You are." she hugs the doll to her chest and sets it down. "This one is for you Ben." Dad hands him a present. Ben smiles and starts opening it. "You guys didn't have to- wait." he pulls out five tickets. 

"These are tickets to the Cavaliers and Celtics game!" he grins. "When is it?" Mom asks. "It's this Friday! Oh man I'm so excited." Ben grins. Dad laughs. "I'm glad you like them." he grabs another present. "This is mine. From Pepper." he smiles at me and opens it. "It's a..watch" he says. I smile. "An Apple Watch! You can make phone calls and things of that sort." I says. 

Dad grins. "Really? Now I don't have to carry that stupid phone everywhere." he says. He puts the watch back in the box and grabs another present. "This is for Pepper. From Emmett." he hands me the present. I shake the box.. "What is it?" I ask ripping the paper off. 

"Open it and see." Emmett says. I put the paper on the floor and open the box. "Bath bombs?! Are you serious? And they're from Lush! There's like twenty in here. Thanks Emmett!" I grin and hug him. "You're welcome. But I expect you to let me use one." he jokes. "This is for mom." Emmett hands her one. "It's so heavy." she smiles and starts opening it. 

I look over when she gasps. "What is it?" I peek at the box. "It's art supplies. A lot of them. How'd you know?" she looks over at Emmett. "I may or may not have snooped in your art supplies." he grins. Mom laughs and shakes her head. "Thank you so much." she grins and puts the box down. 

"This is for you." Ben hands me a present. I smile and open it. "Oh my- I love it." my eyes water. "Oh lord." Emmett pinches the bridge of his nose when he sees me. "Well what is it? Are you going to show us?" Dad asks impatiently. I lift the charm bracelet out of the box. "Oh my gosh that's beautiful!" Mom exclaims. 

"Look at all the little charms." she smiles. "Here, I'll help you put it on." Ben grabs the bracelet and puts it around my wrist. He fastens it and smiles. "Dad this is for you." Ben hands James a large box. "It's so big." James chuckles and sets Luna down on the floor. James grabs the box and opens it. "I wonder what it is." he grins and removes the tissue paper. "Ben-" he stops when he gets choked up. 

"What is it?" I ask. James pulls a quilt out of the box with different pictures of Ben's mom on it. The center of the quilt has their wedding picture. "I got lucky with this one." James chuckles quietly and pats Ben on the shoulder. I start to pick up Luna and frown when I don't see her. "Uh guys. Where's Luna?" I look around. 

"She crawled into the kitchen." Starla says playing with her Baby Alive. "Crawled?" I stand up and go over to the kitchen. My eyes widen when I see Luna crawling around. "You're crawling! She's crawling!" I call out grinning. Ben runs into the kitchen and skids to a stop when he sees her. Ben grins. "I can't believe she's crawling!" he takes out his phone and starts recording her.  

Luna babbles and crawls around the counter. I grab her quickly when she starts to put a piece of waffle in her mouth. "No honey. We don't eat food off the floor. Only Uncle Emmett does that." I take it from her and throw it in the trash. "Hey! It was one time and I don't do it anymore!" Emmett protests. "Uh uh. I saw you eat something out of the trashcan yesterday." Starla says. 

"And you paid me five bucks not to tell." she adds. Emmett glares at her. "Yet you told." he turns to us. "She's lying. I never did that." he says. Mom smirks and shakes her head. "Yeah you did." she says. "I want my five dollars back!" Emmett says storming back to the living room. 

I laugh and shake my head. My family is crazy but that's what makes them special.