Chapter 10

I'm so excited. Today's the day we find out the gender of my- Ben and I's baby. I can't wait. Today it'll be just Ben and I, my mom and dad couldn't get off of work. I'm sad that they won't be able to be there but I'm still excited nonetheless. I'm currently twenty-five weeks so we're far enough along to find out the gender. Ben is driving us to the doctor's office right now. 

"What do you hope the baby is?" I ask him turning down the radio. Ben smiles switching lanes. "I've always kind of wanted a boy. But I'm okay with a girl too. I'll love our baby regardless of the gender." he says. My heart warms at his response. Ben is the best. Sure, he's made a couple mistakes but we're all imperfect. I can see the little changes he's making on himself for our baby. 

He's becoming more attentive, he has more patience, and many other things. "I hope he or she has your red hair."I say looking out the window. "I hope he or she has your grey eyes then." Ben says pulling into a parking space. I grin and unfasten my seat belt. "I'm so excited!"I say getting out of the car. Ben laughs and gets out of the car. "I can tell. You've just about been bouncing off the walls all day." he says. 

Ben opens the door for me and steps inside after me. He takes at seat in one of the hard plastic chairs as I sign myself in. I look around the waiting room seeing a lot of pregnant women, and a few girls that appear to be my age. After signing in I sit down beside Ben and put my head on his shoulder. Ben rests his cheek on top  of my head while flipping through a magazine. 

"Pepper Smith?" a nurse calls my name. Ben and I stand up and walk over to her. "Follow me right back here" she turns and starts walking down the hall. Ben and I follow behind her. I look at all the pregnancy posters on the wall while walking. "Right in here. Dr.Bennett will be with you shortly." the nurse says. "Thank you." Ben says going inside. He helps me up on the table and then sits in the chair beside it. 

I giggle when our baby kicks. Ben looks at me. "What's so funny?" he asks. "The baby has been really active today. It feels like a World Cup tournament is happening in my stomach." I say. Ben laughs at my comparison and shake his head. A few minutes there's a slight knock at the door and then Dr.Bennett enters. "Pepper it's nice seeing you again. You as well Ben." Dr.Bennett smiles and walks over to the ultrasound machine. 

"Are ya'll ready to find out the sex of your baby?" she asks. I grin and nod. "Alright then let's get started. Lift up your shirt for me." she says. I pull my shirt over my stomach and flinch a little when she squirts the gel onto my tummy. "Sorry." she apologizes and grabs the remote. "Let's see if you'll be having a boy or a girl." she places the remote on my stomach and moves it around. 

"Right there is an arm. That his or her's leg. Your baby appears to be a thumb sucker." Dr. Bennett says. Ben grabs my hand. "Let's see...there's...oh oh! It looks like you're having a girl!" Dr.Bennett says. I feel my eyes water and sniff slightly. "What's wrong? You're not upset are you?" Ben turns to me. I laugh and shake my head. "No, I'm happy. We're having a little girl!" I say. 

Ben grins and hugs me. "I'm happy too. So so happy. I was nervous at first but now I'-" I cut him off by kissing him. Ben moves back surprised and then grins. He leans in and kisses me. Dr.Bennett clears her throat, I pull away after a few more minutes and turn to her. Dr.Bennett smiles. "Congratulations. I'm just going to print out the pictures and a video and then you're good to go." she says. I nod grinning madly. 

"Oh! I gotta call my mom." Ben takes out his phone. "I have to call mines too." I pull out my phone and dial my mom's number. Both of our mom's pick up at the same time. "On three." I whisper. "One, two, three." I say. "We're having a girl!" Ben and I yell at the same time. I laugh when Olivia starts yelling happily. My mom starts screaming loudly. Ben laughs and shakes his head. "I'm so happy!" Olivia says.