Chapter 15: Ben

I hear voices in my ears and then feel someone sitting on the edge of my bed. "Ben." Pepper whispers putting her hand on my cheek. I open my eyes and look at her. "How are you feeling?" she asks. I look around the room and spot my dad, uncle, and aunt. I see Pepper's parents and her brother and sister. I look back over at Pepper. "Like I was hit by semi." I croak.  

Pepper smiles and shifts Luna in her arms. "You were hit but it wasn't by a semi. You were hit by a drunk driver." her eyes water. "I thought we had lost you." she whispers. I shake my head and grab hold of her hand. "I'm okay. I'm awake, no head injuries, I'm good." I nod. "How bad was it though?" I ask turning to my dad. "Your car is completely gone. There's no salvaging that. The doctor said you have a few bruised ribs and a fracture in your right arm." he says.  

"Y-you mean my throwing arm?" I ask. Dad nods. "But it's only a fracture. He said that it should take only a few weeks to heal and then you'll be good as new." he nods. "How many weeks?" I ask. "Ben." Pepper starts. I shake my head. "No, I wanna know. How many weeks?" I ask. Dad coughs. "At least seven weeks." dad says.  My eyes widen. "Seven weeks? School starts in a week and then tryouts are the week after! How am I supposed to get my spot on the team?!" I exclaim. 

Dad sighs and stands up. "I'll have a word with the coach. We'll work something out." he smiles sympathetically. I don't want his sympathy. I don't want anyone's sympathy. I shift in the bed and sigh. "Why do they make these things so freaking uncomfortable." I huff. "Let me hold her." I reach for Luna. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" Pepper stands. 

"It's fractured, not broken. I think I'm capable of holding my daughter with a fractured arm." I say. Pepper nods and places Luna in my arms carefully. I smile down at Luna as she stares up at me. "So when do I get to leave this dump?" I ask. Dad looks over. "Tomorrow. The doctor says he just wants to monitor you for a night to make sure everything is okay and then you can be discharged."  

I roll my eyes. "I feel perfectly fine." I say. Dad rolls his eyes at me. "Just because you feel fine doesn't mean you are. Now why don't you stop being a mule and just relax." he says. "I ain't no mule" I mutter under my breath. Pepper smirks hearing me and sits in the chair by the bed. "You kinda are." she grins. I roll my eyes at her. "No I'm not." I say. "Okay babe. Whatever helps you sleep at night." she smirks.  

"I'm tired of sitting in this bed." I mutter hours later. Pepper rolls her eyes. "Yeah yeah, we know. You've been saying that for the past two hours." she says. "Well I am. I want to go home." I grumble. "You're being a brat Ben." Starla calls out from the other side of the room. My jaw drops as Pepper bursts out laughing. 

"Hey! I thought we were friends. I'm not bringing you anymore chocolate shakes." I say. Starla jumps up. "Wait, no no no. I didn't mean it!" she runs over to the bed. I hide my grin and shake my head. "Nope too late missy." I say. Starla pouts and crosses her arms. She stomps her foot and glares at me. "Now who's being the brat." I grin and tickle her.  

"I'm going to put fire ants in your pillow!" she stomps back over to her chair. Melissa pops the back of Emmett's head. "Ow! What was that for?" he rubs his head. Melissa narrows her eyes at him. "I know you taught her that. Stop trying to turn my child into the spawn of Chucky." she says. Emmett grins and shakes his head. "I taught her no such thing. She learned that all on her own." he says. 

"No I didn't! You told me that if anyone ever made me mad I should threaten to pu-" Emmett covers Starla's mouth and chuckles uneasily. "Kids and their imaginations, am I right?" he says. I smirk and shake my head. Melissa narrows her eyes at him. "Mhm." she stands. "We're gonna get going. Starla starts school tomorrow so she needs her rest." she says. 

"Aw Mommy! No I don't" Starla shakes her head. "Get up. Let's go." she grabs her purse. Starla sighs and walks over to me. "Bye Ben. Bye Luna." she kisses her forehead. "What, I don't get a bye?" Pepper turns to her. "Bye Stinky." Starla walks out. I grin and laugh. "Stinky?" I say. Pepper crinkles her nose. "Little brat." she mutters. 

"Emmett, David let's go. Pepper are you staying?" Melissa asks her. Pepper nods. "Yeah I'll just get Ben's dad to drive me home." she says. "Alright hon. See you both tomorrow." Melissa nods and walks out with Emmett and David.

"I'm so glad you're okay. Don't scare me like that again." Pepper punches my shoulder. "Ow! It wasn't my fault!" I protest rubbing my shoulder. Pepper snorts and shrugs. "Scoot over." she stands. I scoot over on the bed and Pepper climbs up on the other side. Pepper runs her hand over Luna's head and yawns. 

"How are you feeling?" she asks. "I feel the same as I did when you asked me five minutes ago." I kiss her forehead. "Well I'm just checking. Your car got hit really bad. You're the lucky you only came out with a fracture and bruised ribs." she says. "Lucky. Yeah." I scoff and put Luna on my chest. "I know you're bummed about your arm but you are lucky. You came out alive. And your arm will heal in no time." Pepper encourages. 

"Yeah I guess you're right." I purse my lips and look over at the TV. "Anyways we should probably get some shut eye before Luna wakes up." I yawn. Pepper nods. "Goodnight." she whispers closing her eyes. "Night." I mumble. 

I really hope my arm heals fast. Football is my only way of getting into college. That plan can't be messed up.