Chapter 26: Finale

*A year later. Graduation day*

Pepper:  

I rush around my room picking up Luna's toys. Luna yells and throws another one on the floor* "Honey please stop doing that." I grab the toy and throw it in the toy chest. "No!" Luna yells. I sigh and sit down on my bed. I put on some lotion and spritz on some perfume. I slip on my dress and grab my graduation gown and cap. I put them on and slip into my heels. 

"Mama. Pretty!" Luna says. I smile. "Thank you sweetie." I put on my jewelry and pick her up. I kiss her forehead. "Ready to go see daddy?" I walk downstairs. Ben and I are no longer a couple. Sad I know but it is what it is.. We ended on good terms, which was good. We're still friends. Very close actually. We both agreed that it was best for Luna that we try to remain friends. 

I think maybe we tried to get serious a little bit too soon. Things got tough for a while. We argued a lot. I think we tried to force ourselves to stay together for Luna so that she could have the childhood we had. Hopefully she will be able too though. "Yeah yeah!" Luna claps her hands and giggles. 

I smile and walk over to the door. I grab Luna's diaper bag and my purse. "I'm heading out. I'll see you guys when you get to the school." I call out. "Okay see you soon!" Mom calls out. I walk out to my car and put Luna in her car seat. I drive to Ben's house. I honk on the horn. Ben peeks out of the house and ducks back inside. He comes out a few minutes later. 

"Hey baby girl." he says to Luna. He kisses her forehead and puts on his seatbelt. "Hey." He says to me. I smile and start driving to the school. "How's your dad?" I ask. Ben glances at me. "Oh he's good. Happy that I'm graduating so that I can finally move out." He chuckles.  "Him and Alana are excited to finally have the place to themselves." He nods.

Ben: 

My dad got remarried. His wife is wonderful. Her name is Alana. "I'm so glad your dad found someone who made him happy." Pepper nods and parks in front of the school. "I'm glad too. Alana makes him really happy. Happier than I've seen him in a while. She's great with Luna too. I think she prefers her over me." I get out of the car and grab Luna out of her car seat.

Pepper laughs and gets out of the car. "I doubt that. She's a pure daddy's girl." She smiles and grabs Luna's diaper bag. "Yeah you're right." I kiss Luna's cheek and pull the door open. "You nervous for your Valedictorian speech?" I ask. Pepper hesitates and then shakes her head. "Only a little bit. I'm just ready to get it over with" she says. 

I nod in understanding. "Yeah. Have you decided which school you're going to yet?" I ask. Pepper glances at me and shakes her head. "Well where have you gotten accepted?" I start walking out to the football field. "University of Notre Dame, Rice University, Northwestern, and Dartmouth" Pepper says. 

I nod. "Where did you apply to?" Pepper questions. "Dartmouth, University of Pennsylvania and MIT." I say. Pepper nods. "Have you been accepted into any of them?" She asks. I nod. "I've been accepted into all of them. I haven't decided which I'm going to yet either." I say. I look up when I hear someone calling my name and wave when I see my dad. "Hey Pep." He smiles walking over and grabs Luna. 

"Hey baby girl." He grins and kisses Luna's forehead. Luna giggles and pats his cheek. "You guys nervous? Excited?" He asks. "Just ready to get it over with." Pepper says. My dad nods and bounces Luna. He wraps his arm around Alana when she walks over. "Hi Pepper! It's so good to see you again." Alana smiles and hugs Pepper.