5-Again

I sprint through the house, trying to find her. I dart around corners, rush through corridors, once run into a wall. As I'm about to give up, I hear quiet crying. I follow the noise slowly and quietly, so I don't lose her. The sobs lead me to a blank white door. The mayor seems to be right behind it with her back towards it. I'm hesitant, but eventually work up the courage to knock on the door. I hear the woman choke on a sob and the crying stops momentarily.
  "Mayor Mills? May... may I speak to you for a moment?" I ask so quietly it's barely audible. I get no answer. "Please..." I whisper. Someone shuffles behind the door. The lock is unlocked.
  "May I help you?" The mayor asks, her voice raspy. Her cheeks are red and tear-stained.
  "Um... yes. I... uh... I don't mean to surprise you or anything but... um... well... did you give birth to a baby girl fifteen years ago?" I manage to stutter awkwardly. She clears her throat.
  "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about. Who are you?" She asks. But I can see the hurt in her eyes. I get angry.
  "You know who I am. I'm your daughter-" I growl but she interrupts.
  "I don't have a daughter. I have a son-"
  "It's Audrey! You abandoned me fifteen years ago, they found me in the woods when I was nine all alone, and it's all your fault! Why are you pretending you don't know me? I'm your child!" I exclaimed. She winces at my words, and she looks on the verge of tears again.
  "I'm afraid you're mistaken-"
  "I'm not! They found me with this ring, this necklace, and this blanket-" I pull my blanket out of my backpack,"and you abandoned me! Don't even try to lie to me, I checked my medical records. You're my mother. Why won't you just talk to me?" I plead. I'm crying now, and two tears trickle down the mayor's face in front of me.
  "I... I just... I'm so sorry, Audrey." She breaks down crying again. "You can't stay here..."
  My heart, toughened up after so many years of living on the streets, is shattered. She doesn't want me.
  "But... you're... you're my mother... don't you want me? Don't you even regret what you did?" I remind. She wipes her cheeks.
  "I can't take care of you. You can't stay here, Audrey. You need to leave-"
  "Why? You have a son, why did you abandon me and not him? What's wrong with me? Why do I have to leave?"
  "I don't want you! You need to get out of here! Leave town and don't come back!" She rages. I'm taken aback by her harsh words. I feel hot tears spill over my eyes and down my cheeks.
  "I thought I could love you... I thought we could be happy..." I weep quietly before turning my back and running out. I heard the mayor scream and glass smashing. I don't go back. I run all the way through the house until I get down to my car, at this point a weeping mess.
  "What happened-"
  "Get the hell out of my car!" I shout at Emma as she asks. She looks worried, but gets out and runs into the mayor's house. Probably to investigate the scream and glass shattering. I ignore her and get into my car, slamming the door, and driving away. I drive around the entire town a few times in attempt to clear my head, and by the time I reach the docks, it's pitch black outside. As soon as I put my car in park, I lose my mind.
  Screaming, crying, slamming, punching, kicking, more screaming. After I'm finished beating the shit out of my car, I explode in a pile of tears on my wheel. I cry for hours, letting go of everything I've felt deep down for the past six years. I dig my nails into my arms, and don't let go. Eventually, my sobs drain my energy and I fall into a deep sleep.