17-Separation Anxiety

Towards the middle of last week, Peter gave up on the hope that the nightmares would go away and began sleeping next to me altogether. Every night was the same. I would fall asleep on the bed alone, him on the floor. I'd wake up two or three hours later in his arms crying hysterically, and he'd crawl into bed with me. We'd both fall asleep, nightmare-free. Eventually it didn't even make sense for him to be away.
  But this morning, he's missing. I can feel the absence of his presence next to me. His arms missing from my waist, his legs missing from their entanglement with mine. I toss my blanket off carelessly and sit up quickly, looking around the treehouse.
  "Peter?" I call out. No response. I swing my legs over the side of the bed and get up. Oh God, it's cold! I fall back onto the bed as my feet touch the freezing floor so I can quickly slip my slippers on and get back up. It's not like him to disappear without warning. I open up the window and call out for him again.
  "Peter!" I shout. My second attempt is just as unsuccessful as the first. A familiar sense of panic begins to arise in my stomach. He was here just last night! Where would he have gone? What if something happened to him? Oh my God, he should be able to hear me. Where the hell is he? I feel my breathing increase and rub the back of my hands. Nervous habit. I sigh helplessly and sprint over to the other side of the room to exit so I can explore the jungle, but Peter flies in through the window just as I reach the door. I let out a sigh of relief and smile upon seeing him, rushing over to hug him. But I see a worried look on his face. "Peter! Where have you been? Why didn't you just teleport here? What's going on?" I pelt him with question after question.
  "Audrey, I need to take care of something with the boys. You need to stay here," He says, seeming distracted.
  "What? No, just tell me what's going on. I can help-"
  "No, Audrey. It's too dangerous. You need to stay here-"
  "I lived on the streets for six years! I can handle it-" I practically shout and cross my arm, only to be interrupted.
  "I won't allow you to help. Stay here. Please, Audrey. You'll be safer here. I'll come get you when it's okay. Please. Stay here," He says and pulls me into his arms tightly. My stomach is exposed in the shirt I was sleeping in, so his cold touch on my skin sends shocks through my body. I can tell he'd been flying for a long time. His touch is always warm despite the cold Neverland air. He must've been flying for hours to turn his touch to ice. Although, now that I think about it, he has been growing colder by the day...
  "Peter you're scaring me. Please tell me what's going on," I plead and pull away from the hug, leaving my hands resting on his shoulders. He moves his hands down to my hips, so he's not touching my bare skin.
  "I can't, I'm sorry-"
  "So you're just going to leave me here alone? There's obviously some sort of threat on the island and you won't allow me to help surrounded by you and the lost boys but I have to stay here in the treehouse alone?" I snap at him and pull away from his touch completely. I tug a hand anxiously through my hair and cross my arms.
  "It's safer here. Please believe me, you have before. Do it again. I have to go," He urges. He pulls me into a passionate kiss before letting go and walking back over to the window.
  "W-wait! How long will you be gone?" I call after him. He really does make me helpless. I really really don't want him to leave.
  "Tonight I'll come back. I'll see you later, love." And with that, he flies out the window and leaves me clueless.