Chapter 34

24 hours later

I winced as the nurse cleaned my stomach with a disinfectant slathered towel, my jaw clenching. Dante stared me down from the corner of the hospital room, at my stomach specifically.

Vladimir wasn't just cutting me, carving words into my stomach. The word Mine  would forever be engraved into the flesh below my ribcage. When Dante saw it, he flipped his shit. I don't think he will ever get over it, but maybe I will.

After Javier shot himself, I was too lost to move. Too embedded in everything that had just happened that I couldn't even say anything, Jason and Teddy freed everyone being held.

And then I, no...we, burned the place to the ground.

Vladimir, Javier, everyone dead and any possible file or hard-drive went with the raging inferno of flames. As far as I was concerned, I just wanted this to be over. But I feel something wrong, Josie won't return my calls and Dante is keeping something from me.

The nurse finished quietly and muttered a low "Boss" and nod, before leaving and giving us our privacy. "Dante, please sit down, your still injured" I pleaded. He grumbled something inaudible as he walked over to the edge of  my bed and sat down. "Are you okay?" he asked. I looked down and nodded slowly, as dark as this all was. I couldn't help but feel like a certain weight was taken off my shoulders, yet I still didn't have the nerve to look in the file Javier handed me.

Faster than I could blink, he had wrapped his hands underneath my legs and pulled me underneath him. His inky black hair brushed my forehead, as his forest green eyes moved to my neck.

He let his lips press against the tender skin, my eyes fluttering closed at the warm feeling. "I missed you" he murmured, he brought his lips back up to mine as I kissed him back with fire. We fought for dominance, but he won the moment he pressed his callous hands around the edges of my hips.

He stopped momentarily, as a look of guilt washed over his face. "W-what's wrong?" I questioned. He flipped us over and rubbed circles on my hands, "Babe, I gotta tell you something" he said. I frowned questioningly, for a moment, I saw what he meant in his eyes, the dark and haunting coat of death.

"It's...It's Mia" He said, I put my hand around my mouth as tears struck my eyes. "N-no, don't say it Dante. Do not! say it" I yelled. 

"It was on the subway love, it was a few days ago" he said, guilt overwhelming his eyes.

It felt like all my walls were coming down, all of me was melting away. The woman who raised me...was dead. Now, I truly felt the price of this life.

"I'm sorry babe" he whispered pulling me to him, wrapping me in blankets and holding me. I cried loudly, my tears staining my bruised cheeks and his shirt. This couldn't be real, it cannot be.

In the corner of my mind, I could feel her presence. Mia, was no longer here though. Funny, I always thought she'd knew this day would come. Yet I couldn't be less prepared.

3 Days Later

I slipped on a knee length, black long sleeve dress. The skin underneath my eyes was dark and sunken, sleep was absent in the past few days. I heard feet moving behind me as warm arms wrapped around my waist and lips pressed my neck, striking warmth into me once again. A talent only one person held.

"We don't have to do this if you don't want to Babe" Dante whispered, spinning me around to hold me closer. I smiled weakly, shaking my head. 

"No, I'll be fine" I whispered, giving him a kiss on the lips before slipping low black heels on. For whatever reason, for the first time. I felt like I really was going to be okay, like Mia's death was a passage to new answers. Not that I wanted her to be dead I wanted her here of course, but through the tough skin of what I wanted to be.