Chapter 21.

New York — 2 years ago

"Styles!" Cole's voice shouted from the living room, making me grunt in frustration.

What the fuck had my life come to? I had no idea how I managed to end up here, stuck in his web of lies and delinquency. And there was no way out. As I laid in my bed and tried to blink sleep away from my eyes, I thought of Ella.

She was my saviour. Despite having made the decision not to contact her, she clouded my mind regularly. It hurt to think of her and how she was doing, but it still helped me get through the days. If I ever met her again, I would tell her how I felt.

"What?" I growled and threw the blankets off my body, stomping out from my bedroom.

It had been two years since that day in the bar, where Cole offered me a place to stay. Even though I'd been hesitant towards him and his cool approach, I gladly accepted the offer. Look how well that turned out.

I turned the corner and got a full view of him sitting sprawled out across the sofa with his pants down to his ankles, a blonde girl on her knees in front of him, snorting blow from his dick.

Ignoring the girl completely, he winked and beckoned me closer with his fingers. "Harry, this is Heather. She's going to work with us from now on."

Heather looked up from her exposed situation, but it was evident to me she didn't care the least about what I thought of her in that moment. She smiled seductively and rubbed her nose.

"Hi there, Harry."

"Uh, hey." I scratched my neck, feeling awkward standing there in my boxers. "What's up, Cole?" I said and turned my eyes to his.

"It's Saturday today. Thought you should get up and prepare for tonight," he smirked.

Tonight. Right. We were heading downtown to meet up with some high rollers interested in starting up a business. I mostly tried to stay out of Cole's way and not get too involved in whatever he was doing, but sometimes it was inevitable. If he decided he wanted me in, I had no choice but to keep my mouth shut and act thankful.

At first, I'd tried to turn his suggestions down. I told him I didn't want to sell drugs, or be a part of dodgy deals. He was fine with it for the first year and just let me stay at his place, he even contacted a few people in the music industry and told them about my songs.

But no one showed interest. And there wasn't much I could do about it. I actually doubted Cole had stressed how important it was for me that they listened to my demos.

After a year he'd become more persistent on me helping him. In a nice way, he'd told me he could have me kicked out on the streets in no time. When I tried to tell him I'd just call my mum and ask for help, he laughed me straight in the face.

He had his ways and he was sure to show me what would happen if I tried to run away.

"Yeah, I'm up. I need to get dressed and eat breakfast. You two should continue whatever it is that you're doing," I said and gestured to the girl on the floor, who only giggled.

"Want some help?" she said.

"I think I can manage just fine on my own," I snapped and turned around to walk back to my room.

"Hey, show some manners, man. Let Heather help you if she wants to do that," Cole drawled and pulled his pants up.

I squeezed my eyes shut for a second, before I plastered on a smile and turned back to the pair. "Of course. Please, come help me get dressed."

.

.

Later that night as we rode in Cole's car to the secret location of the meeting, I was seated beside Heather. For some reason Cole had decided she should come with and she didn't exactly argue.

Her skinny fingers with too long, too red nails, stroked my thigh the whole way there. I felt uncomfortable and skittish, it was my first time meeting some of Cole's clients or whatever they were.

I knew he worked for someone, he also had a boss of his own. The boss' whereabouts however, were kept a secret. I didn't even know his name. All I knew was that Cole had great respect for the man and did whatever he told him to do.

We arrived at our destination and I curiously eyed the building in front of us as I got out of the car. It didn't look much from outside, but when we got in, I was baffled.

The place was a very fancy, very classy strip club. I could tell from the luxurious interior and the expensive alcohol on the shelves that this wasn't your ordinary strip club. They hadn't opened yet, so there were no customers or girls dancing, just three guys sitting around a table laughing loudly.

Cole motioned for us to follow him and the guys quieted down when they noticed us approaching.

"Cole Slater," one of them said as he stood and opened his arms to invite Cole for a hug.

I frowned, not used to seeing him being all affectionate.

"Max, you alright?" Cole said as he patted the guy's back with a huge grin on his face.

When they entangled from their embrace, Max turned my way. "And who do we have here?"

"Harry Styles," I said, trying to sound as detached as Cole when I reached out my hand for Max to shake.

"Well, well. If it isn't another British brother of ours. I've heard loads about you, Styles," Max smiled, almost looking friendly.

Heather sashayed over to Max and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Hi," she said in a sugary voice. "I'm Heather. It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise, love," Max said and pinched her behind, making her yelp.

He turned to the other guys sitting by the table. "This is Dylan and Peter, they work for me here in this club."

Dylan caught my eye and grinned. He seems like a nice enough lad. I nodded my head towards him and he winked. I didn't know why, but I liked him instantly.

When everyone was seated, I clearly noticed that Max was the leader. They were all looking at him expectantly, waiting for whatever it was he had to say. I still had no clue why we were here.

When Max turned his eyes to me, I stiffened. He leaned forward slightly and took a sip from his Whiskey before he turned his head to Cole.

"So, I've got a suggestion," he said and then started to chuckle. "No, not a suggestion. An order, to be honest."

Cole nodded slowly, not saying a word. I'd never seen him acting this way, his usual self-confidence hidden from view. Was there maybe a chance that this Max guy was the big, bad boss? The thought popped up out of nowhere, and suddenly made perfect sense. Cole didn't cower for anyone, except his boss.

"I'm starting to grow rather tired of this country, missing home, ya know?" Max continued in a light tone.

I said nothing, but my interested piked up at his words.

Max was quiet for a while, making everyone almost sit up in their seats from anticipation. He leaned back and put his arms behind his head, before he smiled.

"So I've decided to move the business back to England. All of it. And I want you all to come with."