Chapter 30.

I was absolutely gutted when I left Harry's place. Of course it had started to rain when I stumbled outside and by the time I managed to get home, I was soaked to the bone.

I made it to bed without even bothering to remove my makeup, limbs shivering from the cold. Pathetically, I couldn't help but check my phone for any messages from Harry.

Nothing.

I couldn't for my life understand what went on in his head. He had led me on and I had foolishly and quite gladly let him. He was no better than Adam and the realisation crushed me.

The rest of my weekend was spent curled up in bed with my laptop and I practically didn't move until Monday morning when I had to leave for work.

Multiple times I caught myself staring at his name in my inbox, wondering what the hell happened to make him change like that. His lame banana joke was laughing in my face each time and I ended up deleting it.

Everything had felt fine since we slept together and my feelings for him had intensified. I'd frankly thought he might be having some sort of feelings for me too. My heart ached at the thought of him and I let myself cry a little in the bathroom at work on Thursday. How was it I'd managed to get my heart broken two times in the span of a month?

A light knock on the door made me wipe the tears away and sit up straight. "Yes?" I croaked.

"Ella, are you alright in there?" Madeline's worried voice sounded through the wood and I stupidly nodded.

"Uh, yeah. . . Be right out," I mumbled and flushed the toilet.

After I splashed my face with cold water, I unlocked the door and walked out. Madeline was leaning against the wall opposite from the door with a frown on her face. "Cole is here and he's asking for you."

I closed my eyes, certainly not in the mood for dealing with him. "Why?"

Madeline huffed, seeming annoyed with the situation. I couldn't blame her, since Cole hadn't asked her out for a second date.

"How the hell should I know?" she snapped and pushed off the wall.

"Madeline, I'm sorry. I don't know what he wants from me and trust me, I want nothing from him."

She smiled sadly. "I know, babes. I can see you're totally devastated and I get a feeling it has something to do with Harry."

I sniffed and scratch my arm. "You're right."

"Do you want me to tell Cole to leave?" she said softly.

I should probably say yes but my curiosity got the best of me. "No, I'll handle him."

Trying to gather up enough courage and putting on a no-nonsense look, I rounded the corner to confront Cole.

He was slouching by one of the tables, sipping from a cup of coffee. When he saw me stomping toward him, a grin crept over his face and he winked.

I stopped short behind one of the chairs and put my hands on its back. "What do you want?" I snapped.

His eyes narrowed before he chuckled. "Calm down, love."

Pinning my eyes to his, I snarled. "I would prefer if you didn't call me that."

Cole leaned back with a cocky expression, sliding his tongue over his teeth. "You're quite a feisty one, aren't you?"

I sighed and threw my hands up in defeat. "I don't have time for this! I don't know if you've noticed but I'm working."

"Fine, let's cut the crap," he said venomously and hastily stood, taking me completely by surprise as he grabbed my upper arm.