Chapter 37.

"Hi," I smiled shyly and shook Max's outstretched hand. "Only good things I hope?"

"You don't have to be afraid. I know all about Cole and his misbehaviour and I want you to know I don't support it in any way," he said as he released my hand.

I nodded and felt myself relax slightly. Only by saying this; he gained a little bit of my trust. I hoped this weekend could make me see whatever good it was Pam saw in him.

Madeline bounced over and smacked Pam's behind before throwing her arms around her. "So you are alive. I was beginning to believe otherwise."

Pam chuckled. "Yeah, well, sorry but there's this thing called two-way communication, you know."

Madeline and Pam had been friends before I got to know them both, since they used to work together. But from what I gathered; they weren't that close.

After all the introductions were made, we picked up our bags and headed inside. Madeline and Ted immediately called dibs on the huge room with a king size bed on the first floor, with a stunning view over the lake.

Pam pouted for a while, but was more than satisfied when Harry showed her and Max the other bedroom with an ensuite bathroom holding a jacuzzi. She grinned and winked at me as she slowly closed the door in front of our faces.

"We're just going to unpack, give us twenty minutes."

Harry chuckled and shook his head. "Unpack, yeah."

I grabbed his hand and tugged him toward the narrow stairwell in the far corner of the hallway, which led up to the best bedroom in the cottage. The perks of not being too eager.

"Is it bad we didn't show them all the bedrooms before they had to decide where to sleep?" I whispered and started climbing the stars, Harry close behind.

"Nope."

I smiled as I came upstairs and viewed the bedroom where Harry and I used to sleep as kids. The stairs led straight up to the spacious room and the first thing you noticed was the gigantic window facing the lake. It really covered the entire wall.

Two beds were placed in front of it so that when you laid down, you could look at the view. They were neatly made with fresh linens and the pillows looked fluffy and inviting.

I fought a yawn and turned to Harry, who was smirking.

"Tired?"

"Not really, the beds just look tempting," I said and stepped closer to him.

"Hmm. . ." he murmured and wrapped his arms around me.

"I only see one problem," I said into his shirt. Or really more into his skin, since his shirt was unbuttoned daringly low.

"What might that be?"

"They are too far apart."

His chest shook with a chuckle. "That's easily taken care of."

I took a deep breath through my nose and appreciated his pleasant scent before I stepped back. He was looking at me with a knowing smile and I suspected why.

"About what I said earlier. . ." I started.

"Yes?" His smile grew and I couldn't believe he would make me say it.

"Are you. . . Was it. . . Jesus, I'm just gonna say it. Will you be my boyfriend?" I rushed the words.

Harry bit down on his lower lip, trying to hold back his laughter. "I thought I already was."