18. You got it backwards.

Bellamy rejoined the party shortly after Clarke had left his room. He was pleased to see that Kyle had left. Octavia was smiling, standing in a corner alone with Lincoln. His mother was laughing with Abby and Monty's mother, Hannah. His friends were laughing and joking around. Bellamy felt content knowing the people he loved most were happy. He spotted Clarke across the crowd of people, talking to Roan, Murphy and Raven. She had a beer in her hand and she actually seemed to be enjoying herself.

Bellamy made his way over to them, grabbing his own beer as he did.

"Hey, you feeling better?" Clarke asked as he approached them.

"Yeah, thanks." Bellamy smiled.

"I was preparing to break up a fight, I won't lie to you." Roan smirked.

"Nah, no fights today bro." Bellamy laughed.

The day went off without anymore surprises or hiccups, much to Bellamy's relief. The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm orangey pink glow across the sky. The weather was still warm enough for everyone to remain outside without a jacket. Some were more tipsy than others as they gathered around a small fire Bellamy had lit in an old metal barrel. Conversation flowed easily around the friends that remained at the party.

Bellamy stared into the flickering flames, vaguely listening to the conversations going on around him. He felt someone sit beside him.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Clarke smiled as she got herself comfy in a lawn chair beside him.

"Just having a moment of peace. Didn't think it'd last long with you around." Bellamy smirked.

"What can I say? I like to keep things interesting." Clarke grinned.

"Don't I know it." Bellamy mumbled.

They continued talking quietly between themselves until Lincoln stood up, silencing everyone.

"Hi guys, I err, I'm not great at speeches or anything so I'm just gonna get to it." Lincoln nodded, he pulled Octavia to her feet. Clarke's jaw dropped as Lincoln dropped down on one knee, pulling a small black box out of his pocket. Bellamy gripped his chair tighter.

"I love you more than you could ever possibly imagine Octavia. You've turned my whole life upside down in the best way possible. I haven't known you my whole life, but I know I want to spend the rest of it with you." Lincoln said. He opened the box to reveal a shining ring with a large diamond in the centre. Octavia's hands flew to her mouth. "Octavia Marie Blake, will you marry me?"

"YES!" Octavia squealed through tears. She flung her arms around Lincoln's neck as he stood, pulling her up with him.

Their friends burst into cheers and applause for the young couple. Clarke turned to Bellamy to see him with a small smile on his face. She could tell it was difficult for him, he'd been protecting Octavia his whole life.

"You have to let her grow up." Clarke whispered.

"I know. I'm happy for her. It's just hard to watch her grow up and not need me anymore." Bellamy shrugged.

"Bellamy, I have an older brother, I know for a fact that Octavia will always need you. Just like I will always need Roan." Clarke smiled.

As the night wore on, the alcohol began to overrule people, sending them into a giggling mess. Clarke had gone to celebrate with Octavia, Raven and Harper. The four of them had spent most of the night squealing and laughing in excitement over Octavia's new ring. Bellamy had often caught himself watching Clarke from across the yard. What he hadn't seen was Roan watching him.