26. Sorry's not enough

Bellamy's heart raced as he walked up the steps to Clarke's apartment. She was home early and requesting to see him urgently. An awful part of himself hoped she was just sick and needed him to take care of her. He pushed all thoughts from his mind and let himself into the home of his girlfriend, although he wasn't sure he would be able to call her that for much longer.

Bellamy found Clarke sitting at the kitchen table with a mug in between her hands. She looked like she'd been crying.

"Clarke? What's wrong?" Bellamy asked quietly.

Clarke mumbled something Bellamy wasn't able to catch. Although he had a suspicion he knew what she was trying to say.

"What?" Bellamy said, sitting opposite her.

"When were you going to tell me?!" Clarke said a little louder this time. "Or were you going to tell me at all?!"

"How did you find out?" Bellamy asked quietly.

"Gina came to the hospital today. She was kind enough to fill me in." Clarke spat. Suddenly her voice became soft again. "Why didn't you just tell me?"

"I tried Clarke. Everytime I tried to tell you, you would come home with your own bad news and I just couldn't do it. I tried so many times." Bellamy said desperately.

"You should have just told me! Don't you think I should have heard it from you, not her?" Clarke asked. Her tears started again and Bellamy could feel his heart breaking for her.

"I'm so sorry Clarke. You know if I could go back and change it I would! If I'd have known this was going to happen then I would have stayed away from her that day!" Bellamy argued.

"You had unprotected sex Bellamy! Were you expecting a puppy instead?!" Clarke yelled.

"No! You know what I mean Clarke. Look, I made a mistake, a huge one. But you have to understand this doesn't change anything. Gina doesn't mean anything to me. I love you Clarke." Bellamy reached across the table to hold her hand but Clarke pulled away sharply.

"If you loved me that much, you'd have told me. You're going to be a father Bellamy, to someone else's baby. Do you have any idea how much that kills me?" Clarke whispered. Her face was now soaked in tears.

"Trust me, I know. I wanted it to be you. I still do. But I can't change what happened no matter how much I want to. I just need you to understand that it's still you I want. It's still you that I need Clarke." Bellamy begged.

"I just need some time Bellamy. I can't be around you right now." Clarke shook her head.

"You can't seriously be breaking up with me?" Bellamy exclaimed.

"No. I'm not. I don't know. I just need time to think Bellamy. You're supposed to be my boyfriend and you got another girl pregnant." Clarke shook her head.

"Before we got together! I thought you and me were done and I made a mistake. Please don't do this Clarke." Bellamy felt a tear fill his eye, but he brushed it away.

"It still happened and you still lied to me Bellamy." Clarke said.

"I'm sorry Clarke. I am so so sorry." Bellamy whispered.

"Sorry isn't enough right now Bellamy. Please just give me some time." Clarke sniffled.

Bellamy nodded his head before lowering his head into his hands. He had been dreading this moment since the day he found out Gina was pregnant. If only he'd had the courage to tell Clarke himself, maybe she wouldn't hate him so much.

"Fine. I'll leave you alone. But I won't give up on us Clarke. I won't stop trying to get you to love me again." Bellamy stood up.

"I still love you Bellamy. I always will. I told you, this isn't the end of us, I just need time and space to get my head around this." Clarke said with a sad smile.