D E S T I E L

"See you later, love you"

These were the words written in permanent ink on the palm of Castiel Novak's hand, everyone had the final words their soulmate would say to them inscribed onto their palms from the day they turn 18. He'd seen some that were obviously that simply said 'I love you, see you on the other side" which were clearly when someone knows they're going to die, and incredibly weird ones, one he'd seen read "bananas are 3 for a dollar" which is strange and scary. Thinking about it Castiel's words were pretty mild and mundane, the kind of words you wish to see on your 18th. Castiel has stared at the intricate letters everyday, thinking, wondering and pondering who may utter them, when they'll say it and for what reason. He thought about this often, always trying to picture it in his mind, that was, until, he met Dean Winchester. From the second he met the tall, burly, mechanic from Sioux Falls he knew he was smitten and that the words on his hand would be the last he'd every hear the man say. He could already hear the words, in a voice of a frail old man after a life time of happiness together. Their relationship blossomed quickly, meeting when Cas broke down on the side of the road and, being the Good Samaritan that he is, Dean pulled over to lend him a hand. From then on their relationship was a whirl wind of dates, vacations, new experiences and a whole lot of sex. It took only a year before the two got engaged, Cas surprisingly proposing to Dean, not that Dean wasn't thrilled but he'd have to cancel the cheesy sky writer he'd already booked. It was only another 6 months before the big day.

"You nervous?" Sammy asked his big brother, while Dean fixed his bow tie again. More to satiate his nerves than to actually change the aesthetic of the bow tie.

"About marrying Cas?" Dean asked, "Nah, nothings every felt more right on that front. More scared about fucking up my vows in front of everyone, Cas' mom is a real tight ass and she'd never let me forget it" Sam laughed before giving his brother a quick hug.

"Looks like you've really found your soulmate, Dean" Dean beamed at that, yeah, he had.

Days turned to weeks, turned to months, turned to years, and the couple still felt like newly weds, their 3rd wedding anniversary was when Cas brought it up, "you ever thought about kids?" It was nonchalant, in between a forkful if pasta from their favourite Italian restaurant.

"Sometimes" in Deans defence he barely blinked "I know you'd make a great Dad, Cas, hell we'd be great Dads. But I think, ya know, we're only 27, I want to stay young and foolish for a little longer, we have the rest of our lives for all that stuff why not use what little we have of our twenties left for fun" Cas' smile lit up his entire face.

"You have a way with words Mr. Winchester, ya know that" Dean smirked in response.

"I do indeed know that, Mr. Winchester" they clinked their glasses and sipped at their champagne. Knowing that they're the cheesiest couple to live, and not giving as smiles lit up both of their faces.

2 months of further wedded bliss pass. Cas' phone rings while he's at work, he owns a small bar in downtown Sioux Falls and all though it's small it's probably the swankiest bar the town has so it's fairly popular. It's midday so there's only a few people in for their lunches and some day time drinkers celebrating someone's retirement or engagement, Castiel didn't really pay attention.

"Hello, Castiel Winchester, how can I help?" His standard tone for answering his work phone. He was hiding away in his office in the hopes of sorting out some accounts.

"Hello, Mr. Winchester? I'm calling from Sioux Falls General, I regret to inform you that your husband Dean Winchester has been involved in an accident" instantly ice ran through Cas' veins, his heart dropped into his stomach. His hands began to shake uncontrollably within a second.