Chapter 11: She's not ok

Claire's P.O.V. (Continued)

I still can't open my eyes, they're just too heavy, and it would be too painful anyway. I just know that any form of movement will hurt, because of my stiffness.

The doctor left a few minutes ago. He lifted my arm a few times, but that's all I know. And when he lifted my arm it hurt so bad, but I couldn't react because that would hurt worse. I just need to get better, I need to.

I hear the door open, and hope it's Braden. I hear soft footsteps walk towards me and then I hear them sit down, and then a warm hand slips into mine.

It's Braden.

I need to show him I'm awake and here for him. I gather up all of my strength, take a deep breath, and slowly open my eyes. I see a white light, and the brightness sends a shooting pain into my head, more than there already is. Opening my eyes doesn't hurt, just the light. I get them about 3/4 of the way open and realize that will just have to do. I slowly turn my head and see Braden with his head hanging down. Great, now I have to talk, well this is going to hurt. I take another deep breath and get ready to say just a simple word, but the breath hurts. I gently, because I don't have that much strength, start to close my hand around Braden's. He needs to feel it, I barely have enough energy to keep my eyes open. I squeeze his hand with all of my energy and he slowly raises his head.

I let go of my grip and breathe heavy until my lungs have the right amount of oxygen flowing in and out of them.

"Claire?" He asks out of shock. I give a small nod and a smile and he looks so shocked. "Claire, you're ok." He says amazed. I really want to talk to him, so I'm going to try.

"I wouldn't say 'ok'." I say through a strained voice. And that's all I'll be able to say. Those words sends a blinding pain through my body and I wince.

"Oh god." Braden says standing up. I just nod my head yes to tell him that I'm ok. The pain dulls away into a stiffness, and Braden gives me a concerned look. "I'm so sorry. This is all my fault, and I'm not leaving your side until you're better. I am so glad you're awake, I love you. I'm sorry." He says with tears in his eyes.

I don't know how to respond to him. I can't talk, and I have so much to say to him. I feel my eyes getting heavier, begging me to close them, I can't leave him right now. I just shake my head no in response. He gives me a confused look and as I look at him, my blinking gets slower and slower, and my eyes stay closed longer.

"I'm so sorry." He says sadly. I shake my head no, and it sends a sharp pain through my body, and he squeezes my hand.

I try and squeeze it back, but I can't. I'm just that weak. I need to get better.

I blink one more time, before my eyes can't stay open any longer, and close them for good.

Braden's P.O.V.

Claire woke up. She woke up. She talked! She's ok. She's ok. Is it obvious I'm in shock? She just closed her eyes, and her whole body relaxes.

"Claire?" I ask. She doesn't react, she's so weak. But at least she's ok.

But when I said she's ok she said she wasn't. God, she's not ok. I feel horrible about everything that I've done to her. And this just makes me feel even worse. I am not good for her. I've hurt her so much, and she's given me chance after chance, even though I've hurt her.

Her ribs were bruised because she was protecting me, my dad stabbed her because she was protecting me, and I cheated on her! She has gotten hurt too many times protecting me, and the few times I actually stick up for her she gets hit by a truck! She has to stop getting hurt! She's the most amazing person and she's done nothing to anyone! And she's laying here in front of me, unconscious and pale.