Chapter 14: Claire!

Braden's P.O.V. (Continued)

"Is she okay?" Mrs. Foster asks looking in the mirror to us. Claire is leaning limply against me. Her head is resting on my chest, her left hand is leaning against her cheek.

"She's still asleep." I say quietly.

"Can you try and wake her up? I want her awake when we get to the hospital." Mrs. Foster says, stopping at the red light. I look down at Claire, and gently shake her left shoulder.

"Claire." I say, and she doesn't react. I shake her shoulder a little harder, and her head pivots back and forth on my shoulder, and she still doesn't react. Not even a facial movement. I start to breathe heavy, and I continually shake her shoulder, and she still doesn't move.

"She's not reacting. She's not reacting!" I say loudly so her parents can hear me.

"What? Claire!" Her mom yells as she turns around to see Claire. We are sitting directly behind Claire's mom.

"Claire!" I yell as I shake her shoulder. I want to break down and yell at Claire, but I'm in front of her parents.

"Claire!" Her dad yells.

"She's still not responding." I say in a panic.

"She's unconscious?" Mrs. Foster asks nervously.

"I think so." I say shocked.

"We need to go." Mr. Foster says.

Mrs. Foster turns to face the road, which happens to be the intersection where the accident happened. I pull her closer to me, I wrap my arms protectively around her, squishing her against me. Right now, I honestly don't care if I'm hurting her, I will not let her get hurt in this intersection again.

"Braden, both of you will be okay. We are through the intersection." Mr. Foster says. I look down at Claire and loosen my protective grip.

In a few more minutes we arrive at the hospital. Claire's mom runs out of the car and into the hospital. Claire's dad opens the door and helps me step out with Claire still in my arms. I walk inside and four doctors come running with a gurney. I gently set Claire down and remove my arms from under her limp body. The doctors run her back and I still can't believe what just happened. We walk inside and sit down.

Mrs. Foster turns and hugs Mr. Foster. I just stand there, next to her parents, I'm in shock. Claire was fine. We were talking (and kissing), she looked fine. All the sudden she says her head hurts and she passes out on me. On me. She told me she was fine, she obviously wasn't.

"Braden?" I hear, snapping me out of my thought.

"Yeah? What? I'm sorry." I say while slightly shaking my head.

"Peter can take you home." Mrs. Foster says placing her hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you for the offer Mrs. Foster, but I'm not going anywhere." I say.

"I told you to call me Melinda." She says with a smirk.

"Oh right, I'm sorry." I say dropping my head.

"Melinda and Peter Foster." One of the doctors says. Wow, that was quick.

"That's us." Melinda says as she steps forward, pulling Peter with her.

"If you could please come back with me." The doctor says gesturing for them.

"Wait, can he come too?" Melinda asks gesturing to me.

"Is he immediate family?" The doctor asks.

"No, but he is a very close family friend." She says.