Chapter 20: Her smile

Braden's P.O.V. (One week later)

It's been a week since Claire has been in the hospital. She's still unresponsive, but I'm hoping she'll wake up soon. Everyone else seems to be giving up hope, but we can't. Claire has to wake up.

"Braden." Melinda says. I stand up from the hospital chair and take a few steps towards her.

"What did the doctor say?" I ask.

"He said that she should wake up in the next few days." She says.

"A few days? It's already been a week, how is she not better?" I ask.

"She's just very weak." She says.

"Can I see her?" I ask.

"Sure. Room 479." She says. I nod and walk down the hallway, when I get to Claire's room I walk in. Claire's face actually has color on it. I slowly walk over to her. When I reach her, I stand next to her bed and hesitate to touch her hand. Her chest rises and falls, with lengthy pauses between her breaths.

"Claire, I just want to tell you that we are all here for you, and we need you. You can't give up. Please, just wake up. Please." I beg. I want her to wake up and see me and jump into my arms and kiss me. I want her to be okay, I want her to be safe, I want her to be with me again. "I love you." I say as I reach for her hand. I pick it up slightly, and it stays limp and cold in mine. "Please." I say before I gently press my lips to her cold hand. I set her hand down back down to her side, lean down to her and press my lips to her cold forehead. "I love you so much." I say.

"Hey, she awake yet?" Jake asks.

"I wish." I say, looking at him, but still holding Claire's hand.

"She should within the next couple days." Jake says.

"I just want her to be okay." I say while still holding her hand.

"Are you going to school today?" he asks me.

"I wasn't planning on it, but I know I should. Well, she would want me to." I say, gesturing to Claire with my head.

"Well, lets go. Can you give me a ride?" Jake asks.

"Okay." I say. I look down at Claire one more time, before I let go.

***at school***

The ride to school was silent, and I honestly don't want to be here. I want to be at the hospital, and I want Claire to wake up.

"They're here again." Jake says. I look to my right and see the black cars crowding the school.

"Not again!" I whine. I quickly find a parking spot. "Run." I say. Jake nods, opens the door and sprints off towards the front door. I do the same and run as fast as I can through the crowd of people. I get inside and go to class.

Without Claire.

***3rd period***

"And when you add the negative to the square root of x, you get-" says my math teacher before she is cut off by the intercom.

"Mrs. Ballard?" asks the voice.

"Yes?" Mrs. Ballard answers.

"Can you send Braden Smith down to the office?" asks the voice.

"Yes. Braden, go ahead and take your stuff too. There's only a few minutes left in class." She says. I nod and put all of my stuff in my backpack and walk out of class. I get to the office pretty quickly and see Jake sitting in a chair, pumping his leg up and down quickly while he bites his fingernail. I walk in and Jake stands up quickly and runs to me.