Chapter 12: Permanent Damage

Claire's P.O.V. (The next day)

I slowly open my eyes, and the blinding white light sends a sharp pain into my head. I wince, and open my eyes fully. That's a good sign, that I can actually open my eyes. I see three blurry blobs to my right, I slowly turn my head to face them, but it hurts so bad. The stiffness causes me to move slow, but I am now facing the blobs. My vision focuses, now that I'm not in pain. I see my mom, Jake, and my dad, all sitting down next to me.

"Hey honey, how are you feeling?" my dad asks while standing up.

"Do you not listen to me? She can't talk, it hurts her." Jake says defensively.

"I'm ok." I mouth, I've discovered that mouthing is easier. It barely takes any energy, and it doesn't cause me any pain.

"I'm going to tell Dr. James that you're awake, he wants to know." Jake says walking out of the room. My parents just look at me with worried expressions. My mom's eyes are worried, and the corners of her mouth angled down, and my dad looks like he is just going to throw up out of nervousness.

Jake comes back in with a doctor, and takes a seat. The doctor comes over to my other side, and I move my head so it is facing the doctor. Every move sends a pain through my whole body, and the doctor must know.

"You will be in a lot of pain for the next few days." He says.

"What's the damage?" my dad asks, standing up and walking over to me side.

"Very serious concussion, a lot of blood loss, and very deep puncture wounds from the glass. Any deeper and it could have punctured your organs. You're very lucky." He says in monotone.

"Will she be okay?" my mom asks gripping my hand with hers, and it's sweaty because she's so nervous about me.

"She should be, but I can't make any promises. Her recovery will be a very slow process. The glass cut her head pretty bad, along with her stomach. Most of the blood came from her stomach because glass was literally sticking out of her. But I am also very sorry to say that there will be some permanent damage." He says. Permanent damage? No there can't be, this can't be happening. Braden will blame himself for this, and everything that happens to me because of the damage.

"Like what?" my mom asks nervously.

"If too much stress, or pressure is put on the stomach, severe stomach distress is a very good possibility." He says nodding.

"What do you mean 'stress'?" my mom asks.

"A full stomach, sitting up too quickly, things of that nature." He says. I just look straight ahead, not to my left, not to my right. Straight. I block out the world.

I am going to have to live with this. I'm going to have to be careful from now on. I can't do anything about it, but better me than anybody else. I know I have to get better, but it's only been a day. How in the world am I going to get better? But there's one question in the back of my mind, that I can't answer.

How's Braden going to react?

"Claire. Claire!" I hear, muffled through my thoughts. I slowly turn my head to my right and see my mom with a worried look. "We are going to let you rest, that's what you need right now. I love you." She says kissing my forehead. I nod and my family walks out the door. I never even noticed that the doctor had left. I turn my head and see that Jake is still here.

"Okay, so you and I both know that you're a fighter, and that you would do anything for anyone. That's why I'm about to ask you this. Do you want me to tell Braden about the whole 'permanent damage' thing or not? I'll do whatever you want." He says.