Chapter 35: He's Worth It

Claire's P.O.V. (The next day)

"Claire. Claire, wake up." Braden says. His voice fills my head, which sends shooting pain through me. Everything hurts, even breathing. It hasn't hurt this bad in a long time, but I'm glad I'm the one hurt, not Braden. "Claire, wake up." He says, his loud voice still hurts my head.

"Please be quieter, it hurts my head." I moan.

"I'm sorry." He whispers. I slowly open my eyes and they immediately meet Braden's. "How are you feeling?" He whispers.

"Everything hurts." I moan.

"I know. You slept all night in my lap, which isn't exactly the most comfortable thing in the world." He whispers. It's been all night? I look into his eyes, and there are bags under them.

"You didn't sleep." I moan. He actually spent all night with me on his lap, that can't be comfortable either.

"I was making sure you were okay." He whispers as he gently strokes my shoulder with his thumb. "And I know you're not, so don't tell me you are." He whispers as he slightly shakes his head.

"I-" I go to say, but he cuts me off almost immediately as if he knew I was going to say something.

"I don't care about what you have to say. Just stop talking, it hurts you." He says, causing a sharp pain to form in my head. I wince. "I'm sorry." He whispers.

"It's okay." I croak.

"I hate seeing you like this, so please stop talking." He whispers.

I slightly nod.

"Do you want to move to the couch?" He asks through a whisper.

I nod.

"Okay, so how are we gonna do this?" He asks.

I shrug my shoulders and pain shoots through me.

"Don't move either." He whispers. He slips his other arm under my knees and stands up. He pulls me to his chest and groans. Oh my god, he was hurt too. He was the one who was choked, and punched, and kicked. I remember now. Right after I said to kill me, not him, they started kicking Braden really hard. I can't believe I forgot about that.

"Braden, you're hurt. Put me down." I say.

"No. I'm not letting you hurt yourself even more." He whispers. He continues to walk to the couch. He gently sets me down on the soft surface. I lay my head down on the arm rest, and Braden stands up. He groans again.

"Braden, you're hurt." I say.

"No, I'm not." He says.

"Yes you are. Come here." I say. He kneels down in front of me and places his hand on the side of my face. His fingers brushing over the tender skin on my jaw.

"I don't want you worrying about me right now. I'm okay, trust me." He says.

"I don't trust you, I know you're not okay. I know you too well. Braden, lift up your shirt." I say, as the pain is getting slightly less noticeable because I'm not focusing on it right now.

"No." He says.

"I'm not gonna fight with you, lift up your shirt." I say with seriousness in my voice.

"No, Claire. I'm going to get you more ice." He says as he starts to walk away. I reach up and grab his hand, but a sharp pain shoots through me. I don't care. "Claire, I'm fine." He says.

"Kiss me." I say. He smiles and leans down to me. His lips gently brush against mine and he kisses me passionately. He kneels down so he's level with me. He pulls back when we both need air. I look into his eyes and snake my way to the hem of his shirt, and I pull it up. "Oh my god, Braden." I say in shock.