Chapter 29: I Know I Shouldn't

Braden's P.O.V. (The next day)

I am walking up the steps to Claire's house. I have flowers in my hand and I knock on the front door with my free hand. The door opens by itself and I poke my head in.

"Hello?" I ask.

No answer.

"Hello? Anyone here?" I ask.

"Braden," I hear. It's Claire's voice. But it's strangled and quiet.

No.

No.

No!

"Claire?!" I scream.

"Please, help me." She says. I run up the stairs and see her in the middle of her bedroom, on the floor. She looks fine, but I know she's not. I throw the flowers down and kneel next to her. I lift the top half of her into my lap, my arm supporting her back.

"What happened?" I ask, panicked.

"I...love...you." She says. I look into her eyes one last time before she closes them, while letting out a breath.

"Claire?" I ask. She doesn't respond. "Claire? Claire! Claire! Please!" I scream. She doesn't move. I pull her up to me and hug her. Her limp head is leaned back and her mouth is open. I don't hear a heartbeat.

No!

No!!

No!!!

"Claire!" I scream. She can't be dead! No! She can't be! "Claire! Claire!" I scream. I pull her limp, lifeless body up to me and kiss her forehead. I start crying uncontrollably "Claire!" I place my forehead to hers as my tears soak her pale face. I shake her body and she does nothing. "Claire! Please! I love you! Claire!" I scream.

"Braden!" Her voice screams.

Claire's P.O.V.

"Braden!" I scream as I shake his shoulder. He's been screaming my name and he's crying. His eyes snap open and he sits up quickly. He turns around and sees me. His eyes widen and he pulls me to him.

"Oh my god, Claire." He says with a sigh of relief. I hear his heart racing a mile a minute. I move into his lap in one swift motion, my legs now wrapped around his waist. I cup his face in my hands and run my fingers through his hair, the way he likes.

"You're okay." I say. I look into his eyes and see fear. "You're okay." I say again. He wraps his arms around me.

"No I'm not. You just died in my arms!" He screams at me. My jaw drops and his head goes to my chest. I gently stroke his back as he tries to contain sobs.

I died in his arms?

Why does his mind torture him like this?

"Braden-" I say before he cuts me off.

"I'm so sorry." He mumbles.

"What are you sorry for? You shouldn't have to go through those feelings." I say as I rub his back.

"You have done absolutely everything in your power to make sure that I'm happy or safe, and I have this nightmare and you're comforting me.
You're comforting me having feelings that I've put you through!

I just left you here to worry about me! I don't know exactly what you went through, but I can imagine it felt like that. I can't imagine you having to go through that for a day and a half. I'm so sorry. You're comforting me through the feelings I put you through! Nothing about this is okay! You always comfort me in the most amazing ways, I'm so lucky to have you." He says. I stare into his eyes as his cloud with tears.