Chapter 2

I managed to accomplish a lot in just two days. I found a family nearby that paid $100 a day during the weekday to take care of their newborn child. It was a great job while it lasted. During the hours the baby slept, I managed to nap and take a shower.

I napped during the day because I didn't get too much sleep at the GWU library that was opened 24 hours a day. I wanted to spend some time at the univesity before withdrawing my application. I had only saved about $500 and classes started in two weeks.

I would've saved more but I had to leave my babysitting job when the husband kept trying to get physical. He told me he was a professor at GWU and that if I could show him a good time that he could pull some strings for me.

It was tempting, I'll admit that. Though, I wasn't going to submit because I had too much dignity too stoop that low and I couldn't become a homewrecker. Once I declined his offer, he would start some sort of drama. He would claim that a $20 was missing from his night stand or that the baby had a bruise. The wife was an airhead and followed his lead. I couldn't work for that family anymore.

I had a few other phone interviews for babysitting jobs but never got called back. I applied for a job at a Starbucks but didn't go through with it because the money wasn't immediate and not nearly enough to put me through school.

I ended up getting one of those $50 phones from 7 Eleven in case of an emergency. It's not like I had anybody to call but if I needed to call someone, I would have the ability to do so. It was at night when I had the strongest urge to call my mom. She was a coward and I could never forgive her for putting Hal before me but everyone needed their mother's comfort.

At times I called and let it ring for a second, but then hang up. I slipped my phone into my back pocket and walked to the nearest convenience store.

I looked at the food-to-go section and picked up a pasta. I didnt like having to pay for meals because it meant my money was vanishing but I couldn't starve. I had to keep going. I didn't know where the end point would be but I couldn't give up now. I had to find a way to go to school, even if it's for a semester.

I waited in the line and watched the tall man in front of me pull out a wad of cash. He looked like he was about 45 years old, and drained. He probably worked late at nights, something told me that he was a night walker.

He looked over his shoulder and hummed. "Pasta. I went for a Cobb salad," he said as he lifted up the plastic container.

"Looks good," I replied.

"No, its shit. I have to start watching my weight. I'm starting to feel like a fat ass around the people I work with."

I nodded and handed my pasta to the clerk. "Are you like a truck driver or something?" I asked. "They're usually fat though."

He laughed and pulled his wallet out. "No, I'm not." He handed me a black business card with red writing on it. "I own a club. You look young but it looks like you can adapt quickly to the environment."

The Red Lounge

"Thanks," I said softly. I never been to the club and was never one for loud music.

"Come anytime tomorrow before 6 PM," he said. "I'm holding interviews."

I nodded and placed the card in my back pocket. "Yeah, I'll stop by."

"You're name is Carissa, right?" He asked as he held his hand out.

I shook it and corrected him. "Morena."

He hummed again. "You look like a Carissa," he said before walking out of the store.

That was definitely on my list for weirdest encounters. He seemed like a nice man but I had an unshakable feeling. There was something dark about him. He was too charismatic to be an average joe.

I looked at the sleek business card. A part of me told me to just toss it, but another part was interested. I've heard of clubs that pay well and the tips weren't too bad either. This could be my chance to earn the money I needed to get into school.

***

I had circled around the building for about 10 minutes before entering at exactly 5 PM. The outside was a typical old building one would see in DC but the inside was another story.

It was dim, with the only lights that were on being the bar lights and red that were sporadically rotating around the room. The couches and arm chairs were dark brown-black leather. The highlights of the lounge were the stage and stripping poles. This was no party club, this was a gentleman's club.

A tall figure emerged from the back of the room and jogged over to greet me. "Carissa!"

"Morena," I corrected.

He lifted his eyebrows up. "Right. Anyways, are you ready for this interview?" He said and he showed me the poles.

"Yeah, about that... I thought you meant like party club, not strip club."

"This certainly isn't a party club, but regardless, you're very beautiful and I'm sure you could succeed here."

"I don't even think it's legal for me to work here."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "I have all the paperwork. This place is perfectly legal as long as everyone follows the rules... and over 18."

I sighed. "Yeah, I'm 17."

His eyes widen as if he seen a ghost. "I knew you were young but not illegal young. Well, I'm sorry for assuming your age, but you're going to have to leave." He placed his hand on top of shoulder and started escorting me out of the lounge.

"Wait!" I got out of his grasp. "I need a job. I got kicked out of my house by my shit step dad. I've been living in a freaking library and eating one meal a day..." I fell onto my knees and for the first time in weeks, I bursted out in tears. I've been holding it all in and just following my game plan. I didnt have time to admit that I've been dealing with so much and doing so now, made me break down.

The man sighed and then grunted. "Alright, get up. You can't be the main entertain but I'll let you wash the dishes and maintain the place clean. Got it?"

I jumped up and neuerotically nodded. "Yes! Thank you! How much an hour will it be though? Cash?" I started speaking with a business tone.

He rolled his eyes. "Cash and 20 an hour. It's a night shift and you'll be working till 3am."

"6 pm to 3 am? I'll take it."

He gave me a weak thumbs up. "Alright, let's take you to the back to meet the girls and I'll show you around the kitchen."

I followed behind eagerly.

He turned around and stuck a finger out. "This world isn't vanilla. You might be in the background but you'll still see many things."

"I'm ready," I said with assurance.

He chuckled. "Sure you are, little girl."