Chapter 38

I snuggled next to Elijah as we laid on the couch. I ran my fingers over his chest and enjoyed the silence. After my emotional meltdown, all I wanted to do was be in his arms and look past everything that had happened. I had already apologized for the way I treated him in the car and he apologized for not telling me sooner.

It seemed like all of our problems withered away, that was until I saw her name pop on his screen. She was calling. It was nearly 10 o'clock and I knew that late night talks could become deep and personal. She knew what she was doing and I didn't appreciate it.

I could feel his heart racing more than usual when he noticed that she was calling. He looked at his cellphone but didn't reach for it.

"It could be important," I said, knowing that I knew it was just one his ex's games.

"Whatever she can tell me today she can wait till tomorrow." Her name disappeared and a missed called notification popped up.

We laid back in our comfortable position, but then her named reappeared.

"Clearly not," I said, staring at his phone.

He groaned and reached over for the phone.

"Hello?" He answered, a tinge of irritation in his voice.

"Hey! I called earlier. What are you up to?" I heard her ask.

"Why'd you call? I was in the middle of something important."

"Oh, really?" Her voice become slightly sexual and it made me uncomfortable. "Like what?"

"Karina," he scolded. "Did you need to update me on the case?"

"Yes, but hell, I just wanted to chit chat a bit."

"Its a little late for chit chat."

"We always chit chatted on the phone at night. Sometimes until the early AMs. That's the only time you had time for me..." I wanted to punch her for reminiscing and attempting to bring up old times that clearly had sentimental feelings attached to them, but I felt bad for her. Her current boyfriend probably wasn't giving her the attention that she needed which she was seeking from another man. Though, Felix did say that she cheated so maybe that was just her way of cajoling men into an affair. She made them feel bad for her relationship and then they want to step in to look like the good guy.

Elijah sighed. "Look, we are partners in the case not in a relationship. I'm not interested in being friends, Karina. You can talk to me anytime only if its regarding the case."

"Very well, Elijah. I'm used to getting the cold shoulder from you, anyways. So I was looking into the lo--"

"Wait," Elijah said hastily. "Give me a second."

"Baby, I'm going to have to take this in the other room," he informed me quietly. He patted my back, signaling me to sit up.

"Sit. I won't listen," I said, kneeling down onto the floor.

"What are you doing?" He asked, still seated on the couch.

"Shh," I said and scooted in between his legs so I could unbutton his pants.

He knew what I was going to do and he threw his head back. "Why," he drawled out in anticipation.

"Keep talking," I suggested with a mischevious smile as I pulled out his hardening cock out.

He glared at me with lustful eyes and shook his head. "Okay, continue," he said on the phone.

I started licking the tip of his cock and sucked on just the head. He hummed, which I couldn't decipher if it was from my doing or in response to what she had told him. I slowly slid his cock deeper into my mouth and ran my lips up and down them.