Chapter 47

Xavier dropped me off around ten that night. I laid in bed and stared at the ceiling as I began to process everything that happened. My best male friend was in love with me, my boyfriend knew, and I felt torn between the two men. How challenging was it going to be to remain friends with Xavier now that I know this information? How lightly did I have to tread?

I pulled out my phone and called Elijah. He usually knew what to say when I felt stuck. It rang a few times before it went to voicemail. I tried one more time and it went to voicemail again.

It was unlike Elijah to answer his phone. There was a good chance that he was still working the case with Karina, but my mind went to darker places. I couldnt trust her especially knowing how she was around him. If she had the courage to rub his back while I was sitting next to him, what could she do to him while I was not in the way?

I tossed my phone onto the night stand and turned to my side. It wasn't a good night and I wanted somebody's comfort. A few minutes later, I heard small knocks on my door.

"Come in," I said, softly.

Pia peered her head in and smiled. "How'd it go?"

"Well, Elijah was right: X loves me."

"Damn, I'm surprised he didnt tell me."

"I'm sure he knew youd threaten him."

Pia raised her eyebrows and nodded. "Probably. I cant have him mess with the cutest couple I know."

I exhaled deeply and shrugged.

"What's going on now?" She whined.

"Elijah isnt answering his phone. That's unlike him."

"Maybe hes sleeping?" She suggested.

"He was supposedly meeting up with Karina tonight at his dad's law firm."

Pia pulled out her phone. "Let call Nicholas."

I snatched the phone away from her hand. "What? Are you crazy? We aren't close to him."

She grabbed her phone back. "Nicholas and I are best friends. We had coffee together two days ago."

I swirled my head in confusion. "What the hell?" I squealed. "How are you best friends with my boyfriend's dad?"

"He called on day to see how I was holding up about the arrest and I told him it was fine. He could tell I was bothered by something and I told him I was having issues with my parents so he talked about it with me. That man is so wise. Hes like a peacemaker."

I lifted my hands up in defeat and shook my head. "I can't believe this."

I couldn't believe that Nicholas was close to Pia. He didn't even seem to like me when I met him. I understood that he didn't have to like me but it seemed like more effort was put into an arbitrary relationship.

"Call him," I whispered in annoyance.

Pia called him and he answered almost immediately. "Pia Matin, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing alright. Hey, Morena and I were trying to reach Elijah. Have you heard from him?"

"I left the office about 15 minutes ago and he was still there working a case with an employee. I assume he is still there. They've been going at it pretty strongly. I have faith that they will close this case very soon."

"That's awesome! Thanks for that information. Are we still on for coffee tomorrow?"

"Of course. I will see you then."

He ended the call and once again, I ended up with a baffle look on my face. "Yeah, officially an annoying night."

"He's easy to talk to, just show interest. You need to be an open book or you won't go far with him."

That when it hit me. As per usual, I was the issue. Pia was amicable and outgoing, she had no problem talking about herself. She had a friendly aura that lured people into her life. Unlike her, I wasn't the most friendliest person around and it resulted into me having almost no friends. I didn't show interest in Nicholas which is why he never pursued a relationship with me.

"This night is just so great. I think I'm going to call it at night."

Pia slapped my thigh and smiled. "Cheer up, buttercup," she said before leaving my room.

I jumped out of bed to turn off the light and threw myself back onto the bed. I didnt hear from Elijah the rest of the night and when I woke up the next morning, there was still no word from him. That was unusual. He would always get back to me at night, that was his time to settle down and cease what he couldnt during the day.

I picked up my phone and debated on calling him. I did and let it ring until it hit voicemail. It beeped and I quickly hung up, not wanting it to notify that I left a message.

The rest of the day passed by mundanely. There was no word from anybody close to me despite my efforts to reach out. I was starting to believe that the bad day didn't just begin and end with yesterday, but instead continue on forward.

There were so many thoughts racing across my mind. What if he died? What if he was in trouble? What if Karina seduced him and had her way with him? There was nothing positive about the situation. There couldnt have been anything positive coming from this silence.

I didnt want to be that crazy girlfriend who flooded her boyfriend with texts, calls, and house visits when he didnt answer but I'd be lying if I didnt day I was tempted. Throughout the day, I actually grew complacent. I was used to men tossing me aside without any care of my emotions.

Pia tried talking to me at the end of the day, but I was still so in my head that everything she said to me went straight out the other ear. I got snippets of her coffee date with Nicholas, but nothing solid. Thinking back on it, I should've asked her to mention Elijah to see if anyone was heard anything from him. Though, if he was in real trouble, I'm sure Nicholas would've mentioned something.

Pia wanted to stay up and watch a movie, but I wasnt feeling up to it. I called it a night and headed back to my room. I slipped into my cold, lonely covers and looked at my phone again.

One more call wouldn't hurt, I thought to myself.

It rang, but once again, there was no answer.