Chapter 45

I hastily placed my laptop, notebook, and other class materials in my backpack so I could have a bit more time to talk to Xavier before heading to my next class. I placed a strap over my shoulder but noticed Xavier was moving ten times slower than usual.

He looked over his shoulder and gave me an apologetic smile. "I'm going to head back home. I feel better than when I woke up, but not great enough to keep going to class."

"Oh okay... hope you feel better. Let me know if you need anything."

"Will do," he said before heading out through another exit of the lecture room.

As stood in the middle of the bland, cold room I felt a wave of guilt washing over me. Did I lead Xavier on enough to have him fall in love with me? Well, that is if Elijah was right. I confided in him no more or less than Pia, spent an equal amount of time with him or even less than I did with Pia. I never used him to get to Elijah. I did my job of creating a platonic friendship, so why was I feeling the way I felt?

A part of me felt like I should've headed back home after statistics only because I wasn't able to concentrate in my next class. I had spent most of time just aimlessly writing and deeply thinking about Xavier.

I fast walked out of the building and started walking down the path I usually go to head home. Out of the blue, I was pulled back and faced to see Elijah.

"I've been calling your phone and name," he said, worried. "Are you okay?"

I wrapped my arms around his waist and placed my head on his hard chest. "I've been in deep thought. What are you doing here?"

"I could tell you looked bothered on the way to school so I wanted to take you out for lunch. Also, the cleaner for the vomit is going to be at your apartment around 1. I wanted to make sure you were home by then. You need to check your phone more, baby."

"Its a crap phone and I have no friends."

He pulled me back to look at me with a doubtful look. "That is not true. Well, the friends part. Your phone is pretty outdated."

"Wow, thanks," I laughed. "It was $50."

He chuckled and shook his head. "Let's go eat."

We arrived at the French cafe that was popular in the area. It was the same cafe that I saw Felix in and Pia saw Karina in. It had a rustic, cozy feel that made everyone feel comfortable. Also, the sweet aroma of scones and chocolates made it feel like being at grandma's house.

The waiter seated us by a window and handed us the menu.

"I thought it would be less packed on a Wednesday at noon," Elijah said.

"This place is always packed. It's fine, I like being in here, reminds me of the only time I visited my grandma."

Elijah placed the menu down and offered his hand. I placed my hand in his and weakly smiled. "My maternal grandpa passed away when I was eight. My grandma was holding a dinner for those who were close to him and it was the only time Hal let us see my mom's family. Grandma's love to cook but Hispanic grandma's just feed you until you can't walk. Anyway, I made sweet breads and treats with her and it smelled exactly like this bakery. It's sort of comforting."

"I'm sorry that you rarely got to see her. She seems loving."

"Yeah, it's the only time I really remember being there. I'm sure we went there a lot before Hal." I fiddled around with the utensils on the table. "It is what it is."

"Hey," Elijah whispered. "I can help you find your grandma, Morena. I'm a private investigator and my dad is a lawyer," he chuckled. "Perfect way to use me."

"You're right. Wow, I never thought of reaching out. Its like I still felt trapped?"

He nodded sympathetically. "You're not. You've changed your path. I can help you with whatever you need in order to continue growing and being happy, okay?"

"Okay, thank you. I lo--"

"Elijah Christensen!" A voice yelled in elation from the front of the restaurant. Our heads snapped towards the direction of the voice and my heart skipped a bit. It was Karina. Were we finally going to interact? How was this going to play out? I turned to Elijah who looked extremely annoyed.

Karina strutted towards us with an overly exaggerated pearly smile. She was wearing a red peacoat, a black fitted dress, and her Louboutin heels. She waved to us as she headed towards our table.

"Its so nice seeing you here," Karina beemed as she placed a hand on his back. "Perfect place to get a quick meal, right?"

"It is," he agreed.

Karina eyed me, an unfriendly look washed over her face but only I was able to see it. "Are you hanging out with a cousin or something, Elijah?"

My eyebrows perked up. She knew who I was and I didnt appreciate her undermining my role in Elijah's life. I parted my mouth to speak, but Elijah cut me to the chase.

"Fiancee, actually."

Karina and I both stared at him with the same confused and shocked expression. Though, after processing it, I smiled widely whereas Karina still looked mortified.

"So where's the ring?" Karina asked in a harsher tone.

Elijah reached over for my left hand and kissed it. "Its getting sized. Actually, it's at that jeweler right there." He pointed at a shop that was at a distance. "We are getting some lunch while we wait for it to be done."

"Congratulations, I suppose," she said, annoyed. "I'm going to get my coffee and then head out. I'll see you tonight, right?" Her tone became more flirty and she started rubbing his back.

"I'd really appreciate it if you didnt touch him," I said in a low, threatening tone.

Karina was caught off guard. She didn't expect me to say anything about her behavior and honestly, I didnt expect it either. It just came out, but it did its job. She peeled her hand off his back and gave me a smug smile.

"I'm sorry. I'm just so used to being close to him."

"Karina, I'll see you tonight at the firm," he informed, coldly.

"See you then," she cooed before slithering away.

Elijah caressed my hand with his finger tips. "I'm sorry. I'll talk to her tonight. She's being unprofessional."

"Its okay, fiance," I said, with a smile. I decided to lighten up the situation instead of sulking in it. I had to understand that Elijah was desirable and I'd have to deal with admirers, whether they knew him or not.

A sly smile creeped onto his face and he wiggled his eyebrows. "When you know, you know."