Chapter 12

I collected our cups, and headed towards the trashcan and stopped in my tracks when I saw the silhouette of a familiar man.

"Americano for Felix," the barista called out.

She gently handed it over to the blonde haired man. He handed her a ten dollar bill and winked at her. The Batista's cheek turned a bright red shade and she slipped the bill into her orange apron.

He turned around and he glanced towards my direction. I turned around in a swift motion and internally screamed as I walked over to Pia.

"Morena, we were --"

I hooked my arm around hers, clenching her tightly and whispered, "shut up."

"Ow!" She squealed.

Xavier cautiously looked at me, I glanced away and tried to see if Felix was around us. I looked over my shoulder and saw Felix seated at a table, his hand on his chin and looking at me.

He had a satisfied smirk on his face, and raised an eyebrow at me.

I whipped my head back to look at Xavier. "Let's get out," I said as I pulled Pia out the door.

I unhooked my arm from hers a d ran about a minute away from the cafe, then rested against the brick wall. I took a few deep breaths and watched Pia and Xavier run towards me.

"Damn, you became the flash," Pia commented, breathless. "Did you know him?" She asked.

I placed my hands on my chest and nodded. "Yeah, he occasionally comes to the club and flirts with me."

"Have you considered finding another job?" Xavier asked. "First, your boss being an ass and now random men looking at you like you're a piece of meat?"

"What happened with your boss?" Pia asked.

"Nothing serious," I dismissed.

"You came out crying, Mo," Xavier added.

I snapped my head towards him. "Its fine. It happens, that's life. Not everyone is going to be nice to you and not everyone is going to respect you. There will be times that you'll be used and tossed to the side!" I raised my arms up and balled my hands up anger.

Pia looked at me suspiciously. She knew that there was something more going on and seeing Felix made me realize that Elijah had more of a hold on me than I thought.

Xavier slid his hands into his pocket. "Im sorry, I just want the best for you."

I inhaled deeply. "I know, thank you."

We stood by the brick wall for about five minutes, in complete silence. The only noise around us were the murmurs of pedestrians, the engine of cars, and the occasional siren.

"Holy fuck, hes headed this way!" Pia squealed.

I snapped out of my daze and straightened up. "Hes obviously going to know I'm avoiding him if I run for it."

"Hes like 50 ft away, we can make a run for it," Pia advised.

I lowered my head, it was my best attempt to avoid him. After all, he knew where I worked so it's not like I could run away from him forever. It was strange to see a client out in the public, especially when I'm not in the right persona.

"Oh god," I exhaled.

"Fuck it," Xavier whispered.

"Xav--" I called out but he firmly pressed his lips onto mine as he cupped my face. My hands naturally enveloped his toned body as he brought me in closer. Our lips never parted and our tongues slowly caressed each other.

"He's gone," Pia whispered awkwardly.

We cautiously pulled away, just a few inches, and then he leaned over to peck my lips. "Are you okay? Was that an acceptable distraction?"

"I mean, I didnt notice he was out of sight so I'm going to have to say yes."

He rubbed my cheek with his thumb and grinned from ear to ear. "Good."

Pia clapped her hands in nervousness. "Alright, well, I have to get ready to do some things. Let's go Morena!" Pia grabbed my arm and dragged me away from Xavier.

"I can drive you to wherever you have to go!" Xavier yelled.

Pia lifted her arm up and created a peace sign. "We'll walk."

I turned around and waved goodbye.

"Ow!" I complained.

"See, you dont like being grabbed by the arm, right?"

I rolled my eyes and rubbed my arm. "Whyd you do that?"

"What's going on?" Pia asked. "Seriously, stop with your secrets and spill the beans."

"I dont know what you're talking about..."

She crossed her arms and huffed. "First, you run away from that incredibly hot guy that you know and then you freaking kissed Xavier!"

"He kissed me!"

"You didnt pull back," she quipped.

"I have a lot going on."

She grabbed my arms and shook me. "Okay, this is what I'm talking about! Stop being vague and tell me what's going on! I'm your friend, I'm here to help you."

I didn't deserve her friendship. She was such an open book and devoted her time to get to know me but I never budged. I wasnt one to talk about my feelings or my issues. I never had anyone to run to growing up so doing so now was a challenge. The only time I really let it all out were the times I ended up on my knees, crying.

"I-- ugh... this is hard. I never had a friend, or anybody to really talked to... no one cared."

"I care, Morena." She rubbed my arm tenderly and brought me into a hug. "Let's walk and talk."

At some point, I had to tell her what was going on, or at least the basics. So, as we walked and talk, I admitted to being a stripper. She thought I was joking at first but once we got home, I showed her my closet of bodysuits, lingerie, and high heeled shoes. I even took out the portable pole and did a few moves for her. She couldn't believe her eyes and I didnt blame her.

I also told her about the whole Elijah nonsense. I told her how he would ask for private rooms only to ask me a few vague questions and hand me a a handful of hundred bills.  I also mentioned that he didnt want me entertaining Felix, which is why I panicked when I saw the blonde guy at the cafe. Pia suggested that he was jealous, which could very well be the case but I felt like there was something more. Of course, I told her about how Elijah and I almost slept together and she nearly fell off the couch.

"He seems like a disturbed man," she said. "Not like psycho disturbed but like emotionally disturbed. Too bad he's hot, well hot enough to bang."

I laid back on the couch, relived. A good amount of weight was lifted off my shoulders and for the first time in a while, I felt like I could properly breathe.

"Too hot," I sighed.

"Hotter than Xavier?"

"Bitch."

"I'm genuinely asking. Can you see yourself with Xavier? You looked like you enjoyed his kiss."

"Yes, of course. Hes such a great guy, so different from all the other guys I've come across. I just feel like I'm too messed up for him," I admitted. "He needs someone from a good family, who has a clean history, and knows what they want in life...kind of like you."

Pia let out a sarcastic laugh and shook her head. "Babe, I'm not his type. I'm too wild for him, he needs someone chill. You're chill, you're cute, you're smart, you're a hustler. What's not to love?"

"Apparently a lot if I'm always abandoned."

"Fuck them, honestly. Let's keep growing and doing what's best for us. To us," she said, lifting up her mug.

"To us," I cheered.