Twenty-Two

© 2018, ItsLillieBro

If you like this book PLEASE check out my other books, Running with the Rogues and Heavenly.

_______

Edited 11/25/2020

_______

Hailey

The storm that was beginning outside was as intense as the tension in the room. The thunder clapped outside and lightning flashed across the room as Bates roared and threw a chair.

"You were aware of the fact that she knew Josh Vanderwall and didn't think to tell me?!" he yelled at Chase before throwing something again, "It's a wonder he didn't threaten us sooner!"

"She never told me his last name! Besides that, you're acting as if Hailey and he are some kind of team, planning to take down the pack or something!" he growled causing me to place my hand gently on his arm.

"Well, son, when you leave out crucial information like that it makes a person wonder," he countered and Chase bared his teeth at his father.

"Enough!" Shelby and I both yelled in unison.

My words were directed at Chase, while hers were directed at her husband.

"Obviously, Hailey would never do that. If she were going to do that don't you think she would have attacked sooner, hm?" Shelby asked and she was right. 

I had been here for about 9 months now, if I was going to bring them to harm I would have.

Both their chest heaved up and down as they tried to steady their breathing.

"Now," she said, walking back to her chair, "Let's all sit back down and have a nice, calm, conversation about all this."

Both men reluctantly nodded and we all sat back down. I began to wonder if somehow Josh knew all along about my family and if that were part of the reason he tortured me so. I don't know if that made it better or worse.

"What're you thinking about?" Chase asked softly, while he rubbed his thumb across the top of my hand.

"I was just wondering if maybe he knew about my family history. Maybe that was the reason he abused me the way he did," I explained my thoughts and felt Chase tense.

His parents growled lowly and we snapped our heads towards them.

"He hurt you?" Shelby growled out, her eyes darkening.

I nodded slightly, trying to decrease the chances of an outburst.

"We dated for a long time before he became abusive, like my father. It makes sense now if that were why. How long has he been a leader of this little group?" I asked trying to answer some of the thousands of questions roaming my head.

"From what little information we have, he took over for his uncle about five years ago," Brian, Olivia's father, told me.

My breath hitched and I squeezed my eyes shut. That was around the time we began dating. Somehow everything felt even worse because it was all apart of his scheme. I don't know why this news made me feel so much worse, but it did.

"Hailey, I'm sorry, but we will make him pay for everything he has done," Chase growled and I reopened my eyes. A few tears slowly made their way down my face.

"I'm sorry, I just need a minute," I said, furiously wiping the tears and leaving the room.

"Hailey! Hailey, it's raining, you'll get sick!" Chase called after me.