Twenty-Three

© 2018 ItsLillieBro

______

Edited 11/25/2020

______

Hailey

"Do you really think now is the best time for a change in command? When a war is headed our way?" Chase's father asked as we all stood among the councilmen.

"They are fully mated, which means we must proceed with the ceremony. The next full moon is tomorrow night, it must be then. You will still be around to guide him and there is no better time than now for him to get his footing. We need you both, it has been decided amongst us all," the head councilman said, before turning to Chase and me.

"Congratulations. We are all very pleased and cannot wait to watch the two of you lead our pack. We know you will serve us greatly," he said sincerely before howling and announcing the next meeting would be after our ceremony.

Chase intertwined our hands as we exited the room.

"Are you nervous?" he asked, giving my hand a light squeeze.

I shrugged, "Maybe a little, but I'm more excited than anything. I am so ready to take this on with you."

I gave him a bright smile which he returned as we made our way to his parents' house. It wasn't a far walk and it was nice to take a walk in the crisp fall air. We were having a family dinner, as it had been a while since we all sat down and spent time together. I hadn't even seen the girls since before I left as they were running around with other pack members during Bray's party last week.

"Hay-hay!" the two yelled in unison as they flung themselves towards me.

I giggled before I bent down and hugged them back. Chase huffed beside us and we all peered up at him.

"I see how it is, your big brother is chopped liver," he said faking sincerity and the girls giggled at him before hugging him as well.

"I missed you guys! Are you ready to eat?" I asked as I stood back up.

They nodded vigorously and Evelyn dragged me towards the kitchen. Shelby smiled as the four of us walked into the kitchen. We all sat down and had dinner. When dinner was over I followed Chase and Evelyn into the living room. We had promised the twins if they ate all of their food we would stay and watch one movie with them.

"Okay, girls, what movie?" I asked as I headed over to the collection of movies as I had a few times before when I was here.

The two began to argue so Chase let out a chuckle and came over to pick one out himself. As we started looking for a movie I had major dejá vu.

I couldn't help but smile as I picked a movie and took it back to Chase.

He returned the smile and said, "What're you grinning like that for?"

I shrugged happily and said, "I was just thinking about the first time we watched a movie in here and when I met the girls. Just reliving good memories."

"Oh, Hay-Hay! We found something for you. We'll be right back!" Evie said before the girls ran off.

Before I could ask Chase about what was going on the girls darted back in with a red box in their hands. Chase quickly stood up and tried to take the box from them and they ran around the room so he couldn't. This only piqued my curiosity of what was in the box.

After five to ten minutes of waiting, I decided I'd go hang out with Olivia and Brayden. I told Chase before taking off.

I knocked on the door and a busy looking Olivia opened the door.