Twenty-Six

© 2019, ItsLillieBro

_____

Edited 11/25/2020

_____

Chase

"What the hell do you mean she's gone?" I roared for the second time as the room around me stood still.

Graham, one of my younger pack members, had found Andrew unconscious in the hallway and alerted everyone through the mind-link. This is also when we felt the love of my life crossing the pack boundary line and I was alerted no one could find her.

"We-"

"How could you let your alpha female, my soulmate, be taken?! There are hundreds of you roaming the pack grounds, you would think someone saw something," I angrily snarled, seconds from shifting.

I stalked out of the room, my father following behind.

"Chase, enough," my father hissed at me.

I stormed into my office and punched the wall next to the bookshelf. A few things fell off onto my desk and performed a domino effect.

I realized I had knocked the picture Hailey had given me off in the process, so I bent down to pick it up. I removed the broken pieces of glass and stared at the picture of us from the first couple of weeks of us dating.

I looked up at my dad, unable to hide the brokenness in my voice, "She can't be gone. Dad, I promised her nothing would happen to her."

"Son, we will find her, I promise," he responded, as he placed a firm but comforting hand on my shoulder.

I wanted to run. I wanted to chase after her. I wanted to slit Vanderwall's throat because I knew good and well this was his doing.

He continuously ruined her life.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I pictured her beautiful face from just hours before.

I reopened them and said, "I'm going to find her."

I began communicating with the best trackers and warriors creating plans, refusing to do anything other than look for her until she was safely in my arms.

After about thirty minutes Matthew entered the room.

"Alpha, we've managed to catch a scent. They masked their scent, but we can faintly smell an unfamiliar smell. It is paired with the Luna's scent until the pack boundary line. My guess is they masked the Luna's scent and didn't realize the other scent wasn't masked. It's faint, but it's all we have," he explained.

My heartbeat quickened as I headed out of my office. Matthew trailed behind me and I kept gathering more information from him. He had sent our best trackers out to follow the scent as soon as it was found. My wall had been up since Hailey had disappeared, so he couldn't mind-link me. I didn't need the pack to feel the distress I was in, it would affect them all.

I had to be strong for them.

I had to be strong for Hailey.

...

"Andrew, it is not your fault. You did your duty to protect your Luna and my mate. I will always remember that," I said as I visited my distraught Beta.

It had been 45 hours and 20 minutes since Hailey had been missing. Every second felt like a million years and I had yet to sleep.

Andrew had just become stable enough to be visited, as they were trying to have as little stress as they could on him. The knife had done a number on him, miraculously only nicking a few organs. The doctors said with his werewolf healing he should be fully healed within two to three weeks, a human it would take a month or longer. His stitches were going to be removed within a few days.